Weak Chick! Assisted feeding!

McCluckster

Chirping
Jul 17, 2023
Hello there all! I recently hatched a cutie - a little Easter Egger. She needed to be assisted, because her membrane shrink-wrapped while I was at school! I don’t know how long she was shrink-wrapped, but she could breathe. She wasn't able to get out on her own so I helped her.

While assisting her, she still had a red blob attached to her. There was no blood nor yolk in the egg, just a red blob attached to her belly button.
This is still there but its smaller and shriveled.

She seems like she can't "look down" but she can move her head somewhat down when assist feeding her. For the first 2/3 days of her life, I noticed she showed no interest in eating or drinking so I helped her. She kept her eyes mostly closed for these 2/3 days.

Today she showed more energy, running around with the rest of the chicks in the brooder. She's smaller than all of them, but she's been doing way better than when she hatched.

I've been assist feeding her a wet liquid food of these contents-
Medicated chick starter
Egg yolks
Yogurt
Honey
Cat food

Any ideas on how to further help her, or any insight on what could be wrong? Thank you!

Can you post clear pictures of her belly area and perhaps a video of her with the others?

I would not force anything in to it's mouth.
Chick feed would be best.

Can you post clear pictures of her belly area and perhaps a video of her with the others?

I would not force anything in to it's mouth.
Chick feed would be best.
Once I get home I for sure will.

Not forcing her, just holding her while she dips her head down - today was the first day she ate dry chick starter! She's doing better!

Hello there all! I recently hatched a cutie - a little Easter Egger. She needed to be assisted, because her membrane shrink-wrapped while I was at school! I don’t know how long she was shrink-wrapped, but she could breathe. She wasn't able to get out on her own so I helped her.

While assisting her, she still had a red blob attached to her. There was no blood nor yolk in the egg, just a red blob attached to her belly button.
This is still there but its smaller and shriveled.

She seems like she can't "look down" but she can move her head somewhat down when assist feeding her. For the first 2/3 days of her life, I noticed she showed no interest in eating or drinking so I helped her. She kept her eyes mostly closed for these 2/3 days.

Today she showed more energy, running around with the rest of the chicks in the brooder. She's smaller than all of them, but she's been doing way better than when she hatched.

I've been assist feeding her a wet liquid food of these contents-
Medicated chick starter
Egg yolks
Yogurt
Honey
Cat food

Any ideas on how to further help her, or any insight on what could be wrong? Thank you!
I was told medicated feed was not good for them. I don't know that to be true though. I had a duck like that. Hope was only one to hatch of 7 and needed assistance. For 3 days had to make her drink, she couldn't stand or hold up her head, we kept working with her and after 4 ot 5 days she was up running around. 5 months later she's still doing great. Best wishes to you. She did have a hernia and we used neosporin and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom