Help please! Silly Brown Chinese Goose!

We inherited a Chinese Gander who is all white with an orange beak. He looks just like our white embden females & now mates with them. He is hilarious!!!!! When he sees us he runs up to us and if you kneel down he crawls on our lap LOL One thing I've noticed about the Chinese geese is their friendliness. There is a way to tell the sex of it as I learned online. You have to 'look at their part'. It's invasive & I can't do it but that's how you can tell if it's female or male. They will try to dominate the same sex too and it looks like mating.

clap.gif

Caughtcha!

Well, I caught Knot head on the nest when I had my camera.
29696_dsc_0492.jpg

Notice my Rouen drake going "What are you doing on my girls nest you crazy goose" LoL!

I think she's a female. I highly doubt that a male would sit on the eggs, especially when another male approaches. I think she's absolutely beautiful and you're very lucky that she adopted you!

Laurie

If it is a she, would she lay eggs without a mate? I assume her eggs would be larger than my ducks and I haven't seen any. Would she be more apt to lay if I removed the eggs?

Any thoughts?

If she's just beginning to lay one of her eggs may pass for one of your duck eggs. But the fact that she's obviously broody and sitting on a nest, she may not lay eggs of her own. She's adopted these other eggs as hers.

I have a Sebastopol goose on a nest with two eggs in it. The day we left her egg in her nest for her, she stopped laying. We slipped one of her sister's eggs under her so she would have two eggs to sit on instead of just the one.

Laurie

Knothead is not sitting on these eggs full time. They all go out to the lake in the morning and stay out all day. Knot head covers the nest with hay before going out for the day. It is not warm yet so I assume the eggs will not hatch. Do you think I should remove all the eggs and see what happens?

Mystery Solved!

29696_dsc_0499.jpg

Left to Right: Mysterious Large egg
wink.png
, two Rouen duck eggs, and 1 Welsummer Chicken egg

My Knothead is a girl!! Thanks for all your help and input!

Back
Top Bottom