Help please, what's wrong with my hen's eye?

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
My Green Queen Sally seems to be having an eye issue. She's almost two, she is low on the pecking order, so she has gotten her poor muffs pecked at :( She is eating, drinking, and laying fine (since I discovered it this AM, she's been in Chicky ICU and laid her egg in there) When I went into the coop this am, she was just standing there looking like she was going to sleep, bowing her head, and she hasn't stopped doing that since. Her tail is up and perky. Even while she's eating in the ICU, her right eye stays closed. I used the vetricin anti-microbial eye spray, she's isolated in the Chicky ICU (in my garage) with the lights off, but she's still doing this even after treating her twice with the eye spray. Just in case I did put some VetRX on her beak and under her wings. She isn't sneezing or wheezing or anything respiratory sounding as far as I can tell. But her poop is kinda funky. When her eye is open, it kinda looks like she has a major eye boogie in the corner, but it's not bubbly or foamy looking. Any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 14
  • poop.jpg
    poop.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Slightly Open.jpg
    Slightly Open.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 6
Next time you post a photo, click on the "full image" rather than thumbnail.

Has this bird ever been wormed? That poop isn't entirely normal. Possibly worms.

The eye may have been injured. Flush with saline each day and treat with an antibiotic eye ointment such as Terramycin twice a day.

Next time you post a photo, click on the "full image" rather than thumbnail.

Has this bird ever been wormed? That poop isn't entirely normal. Possibly worms.

The eye may have been injured. Flush with saline each day and treat with an antibiotic eye ointment such as Terramycin twice a day.
Thank you! Sorry about the pic, that's the way it downloaded from my email. No, I haven't wormed the flock, what do you recommend for that? Should I worm everyone, or just her? I will also do the terramycin, I believe I have it in my first aid kit for them! It doesn't look like any kind of illness to you, just an injury?

It looks more like an injury than a respiratory illness. But the poop indicates possible presence of worms, and that could make her feel ill. Have you ever wormed before? If not, Safeguard paste is the gentlest wormer and easiest to use. It's a bit labor intensive to dose all the flock, but that's what's recommended.

It looks more like an injury than a respiratory illness. But the poop indicates possible presence of worms, and that could make her feel ill. Have you ever wormed before? If not, Safeguard paste is the gentlest wormer and easiest to use. It's a bit labor intensive to dose all the flock, but that's what's recommended.
Thanks so much. I haven't wormed them before, I'll make sure to pick that up asap!

Back
Top Bottom