help please

Subone38

Hatching
May 21, 2017
Hi
I am new just found the group, I know this site is for chickens and I just became the proud owner of 16 hens about 2 months ago.. they are doing great

My question is about my ducks , I am sorry I am asking here I hope I won't upset anyone, I just could not find a duck group fast enough.

My khaki Campbell's, were attacked tonight.. I lost my Mabell, my Sabell is fine but my guy Tom is not.. they are about 9 weeks old, I had them in their pen for the day by the creek.. they could swim then come up to the grass and relax.. I go down thru out the day to check on them and talk, when I went down tonight to bring them in and the door was open Sabell was standing outside the door not wanting to leave, Mabelle had passed and Tom was 1/2 in the water 1/2 out.. I quickly but gently picked him up.. he is breathing fine, no open sores , no blood but he can't stand, he flaps his wings but he can not stand.. I had my BF call a farmer friend and he said since none of them are tore up ( including poor baby Mabelle who passed ) it was probably a minx/ weasel.. sigh

The farmer said during attacks that Tom could just be exhausted and in shock.. it's good he is breathing ok and has no open wounds, to keep an eye on him ( I have them both in my house, Sabell will not leave Tom's side and if you reach in to tend to him she pushes you away with her beak) the farmer said if Tom makes it thru the night he will probably be fine, he has seen them take a few days before they gain strength enough to start moving..
I know this is for chickens but does anyone have any advice ?

Sabell and Tom are inside with me, Sabell dumped the food dish right in front of Tom and he ate a little ( very little but he ate) but he just isn't able to stand.

I can't stop bawling, I feel this is my fault sigh.. thank you for listening to me and again I hope I don't upset anyone because this is a duck question, I just didn't know where to turn to and your group kept coming up..

Welcome to BYC.
I am sorry you are going through this right now.
You did good joining this site...it's full of duck owners.
Sit tight...I am not one of these ducks owners so I do not feel comfortable offering you advice.
@WVduckchick

Welcome to BYC.
I am sorry you are going through this right now.
You did good joining this site...it's full of duck owners.
Sit tight...I am not one of these ducks owners so I do not feel comfortable offering you advice.
@WVduckchick
Th
Sorry to hear of your ducks problems, lots of duck lovers here! I hope he will be ok. I'm not great on injuries, so I'll tag a few more who may help.
@Miss Lydia @casportpony @Ravynscroft @Amiga @Tevyes Dad @Ren2014 @Pyxis

Thank you, for your reply..I didn't mean to post my problem in the welcome section, oh my not sure how I did that..

We are here to help you, you don't worry about the posting it here no one will be upset at that. WE are all friendly people here. I am sorry your going through this awful time right now. Just keep him and her calm as can be. Make sure there is also some water for him to drink with the food.

Glad he ate a little, but don't push food... see if he'll take a bit of water though...

No visible injuries? Can you feel if there's any broken bones?

First thing is he is in shock... best thing to do for that is keep him warm (not too hot, but not cool) and in a darkened confined area... if you have them in a kennel or similar, drape a blanket over top, sides and back... warmth, quiet and calm is the best thing for him right now... leave Sabell in with him since she is calm and insists...

:hugs

Hang in there, ducks can survive quite a lot...

Hi
I am new just found the group, I know this site is for chickens and I just became the proud owner of 16 hens about 2 months ago.. they are doing great

My question is about my ducks , I am sorry I am asking here I hope I won't upset anyone, I just could not find a duck group fast enough.

My khaki Campbell's, were attacked tonight.. I lost my Mabell, my Sabell is fine but my guy Tom is not.. they are about 9 weeks old, I had them in their pen for the day by the creek.. they could swim then come up to the grass and relax.. I go down thru out the day to check on them and talk, when I went down tonight to bring them in and the door was open Sabell was standing outside the door not wanting to leave, Mabelle had passed and Tom was 1/2 in the water 1/2 out.. I quickly but gently picked him up.. he is breathing fine, no open sores , no blood but he can't stand, he flaps his wings but he can not stand.. I had my BF call a farmer friend and he said since none of them are tore up ( including poor baby Mabelle who passed ) it was probably a minx/ weasel.. sigh

The farmer said during attacks that Tom could just be exhausted and in shock.. it's good he is breathing ok and has no open wounds, to keep an eye on him ( I have them both in my house, Sabell will not leave Tom's side and if you reach in to tend to him she pushes you away with her beak) the farmer said if Tom makes it thru the night he will probably be fine, he has seen them take a few days before they gain strength enough to start moving..
I know this is for chickens but does anyone have any advice ?

Sabell and Tom are inside with me, Sabell dumped the food dish right in front of Tom and he ate a little ( very little but he ate) but he just isn't able to stand.

I can't stop bawling, I feel this is my fault sigh.. thank you for listening to me and again I hope I don't upset anyone because this is a duck question, I just didn't know where to turn to and your group kept coming up..

So sorry to hear this. Don't beat yourself up over it. Keep him in a quite dark place. If you think he might be cold, put a heating pad in with him. It could be as the farmer said, 'exhaustion and shock.' If he physically fought with something it could be severe damage. Only time will tell. For now just give him supportive therapy... food, water and confined in a dark quite place. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom