Help please

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
I just started my first brooding pen with 16 chicks. I picked up my day old chicks yesterday. All the chicks settled in wonderfully they are all active, eating, drinking, etc. As they have done since I put them in the pen last night the all came running to me.

I noticed this time one of my Plymouth Rock gal had no down on what looked like the wing. What I found when I straightened the wing was what looked like a small puss sack. I called the feed store I bought her at and asked about it. He said it was probably just part of the yolk she was was still absorbing. An hour later I decided to take pics of it so I could monitor it. It's huge now, actually bigger then her head.

Anyway, I thought I would contact y'all here since I've been using the site quite a lot.

Please help me. I don't know if I need to quarantine her, worry about her or relax. She is very active, eats and drinks. Plays with all the toys and such. Anyway, I've attached pics of what's going on. I hope y'all can see what going on and give me advise on what's go in: on.
20190321_143136.jpg
20190321_143247.jpg
20190321_143039.jpg
20190321_143112.jpg
20190321_143057.jpg
20190321_143213.jpg

I can't tell from the pictures. I just wanted to tell you to never ask a feed store employee anything about poultry nutrition or health issues. None of them are poultry nutritionists nor had they gone to veterinary school. They just don't know - anything - other than where the feed is stored.
Yolk that hadn't yet absorbed wouldn't be on the wing but rather at the navel. And it wouldn't still be there by the time the chick got to the feed store.

I can't tell from the pictures. I just wanted to tell you to never ask a feed store employee anything about poultry nutrition or health issues. None of them are poultry nutritionists nor had they gone to veterinary school. They just don't know - anything - other than where the feed is stored.
Yolk that hadn't yet absorbed wouldn't be on the wing but rather at the navel. And it wouldn't still be there by the time the chick got to the feed store.

I don’t even trust them to tell me where the feed is.

Back
Top Bottom