Help please!

Jikar

In the Brooder
May 16, 2019
hoping someone can help as I have not recieved replies in the incubating thread.

we currently have a duckling egg in the incubator who pipped almost 48 hours ago. There has been a small hole all the way through the egg almost 24 hrs and his little beak keeps sticking out. He is trying to get out it looks like. I’m going to try to attach a video I just took. Just wondering if we should help him or leave him longer?

The chewing/yawning motions usually mean they are still absorbing yolk.
Did it make a small initial pip about 48 hours ago, and made the big current hole 24 hours ago?
Usually they are out within 48 from initial pip, IF they hit the air cell when they pip.
The membrane still looks ok, and the duckling looks plenty active, and had plenty breathing space, but if the feathers start to appear to be stuck to the inside, you could break off the end of the shell — just the part covering the air cell.

Don’t tear the internal membrane around the beak and body until you apply some Vaseline or coconut oil to it. When you do that, any active blood vessels will become very visible. If there is no blood, you can gently open some of the membrane to allow the duckling to push out. Let it emerge from the bottom of the shell on its own time.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom