Chknkepr

Hatching
Feb 4, 2022
I have a hen that had poo stuck all over her vent and the feathers below. I noticed she had (and still has) an awful smell and she looks like she is struggling to poop, she kinda squats down and makes a sound. Her poo is like dark oval(ish) balls. Ive been giving her epsom salt baths, but I cant figure out the smell and the appearance that shes having a hard time going poo.

I have a hen that had poo stuck all over her vent and the feathers below. I noticed she had (and still has) an awful smell and she looks like she is struggling to poop, she kinda squats down and makes a sound. Her poo is like dark oval(ish) balls. Ive been giving her epsom salt baths, but I cant figure out the smell and the appearance that shes having a hard time going poo.
It sounds like she's constipated and possibly has vent gleet, although both at the same time is unusual.
I would feed her 1 tsp of coconut oil 2 or 3 times a day to try to relieve her constipation and keep cleaning her up.
This is a good article on how to deal with Vent Gleet.
In addition to the probiotics you can also make a mash out of her feed and add Kefir to it.
Good luck.

It sounds like she's constipated and possibly has vent gleet, although both at the same time is unusual.
I would feed her 1 tsp of coconut oil 2 or 3 times a day to try to relieve her constipation and keep cleaning her up.
This is a good article on how to deal with Vent Gleet.
In addition to the probiotics you can also make a mash out of her feed and add Kefir to it.
Good luck.
Thank you so much! I've been doing these things and Ive seen such an improvement in the feathers around her vent. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom