divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
Hey guys it's me back with ANOTHER issue with the SAME hen. A couple of weeks ago she had an egg break inside her no shell just a little fluid. Went to the vet, got her some meds. Started doing well the 5 days ago stopped eating and drinking on her own. Yes, I didn't the whole egg binding check with the baths and everything but kind of ruled it out since it's been 5 days. Noticed her abdomen was larger. Considered ascites but since it hard kind of figured it wasn't. Now I'm leaning more towards some sort of constipation since I've noticed she's struggling to poop and when she does it's like it hurts and it's huge and watery. I've given poultry cell, calcium, tums, ACV, and backyard chicken oxy that I got off Amazon. Today I started to give her applesauce that she wouldn't eat on her own and gatorade she would drink. She does poop every once in a while and it seems like she's nervous to sit or lay down. This morning her abdomen wasn't as big but at night it seems bigger. Her comb and wattles are bright red/orange like usual. She walks fine. Earlier she ran around for grass but nothing else. She ate a bit of watered down crumbles then stopped. Her crop is empty in the morning and is small at night.
Now this girl, is 6 and is usually the type that over drinks, over eats and fights for treats. So I'm at a loss. I recently lost my mother last Sunday and another hen tragically 2 weeks before. My chickens are therapy animals and mean so much to me. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME YOU CAN HELP.

Did you motive any improvement?
Yes I did for a week. And he said there was barely yolk left in there. After a week of giving her the meds she started acting weird. I thought she was egg bound but clearly not. She either lost weight or feathers but just ate some corn and stopped. She drank a bit too but not much.

I wish I had more advice because I know how precious chickens can be but if she's straining to poop, I'd recommend an epsom salt soak. I know that helped one of my hens. Good luck.

Yes I did for a week. And he said there was barely yolk left in there. After a week of giving her the meds she started acting weird. I thought she was egg bound but clearly not. She either lost weight or feathers but just ate some corn and stopped. She drank a bit too but not much.
I'm wondering if she's attempting to lay again and she's sore or inflamed. I hate drugging birds but do you have the meloxicam still?

Back
Top Bottom