Help please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spatcher, Apr 28, 2008.

1. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Coop is just about done and now turning to what chickens to get. Ive done the search for climate, personalities, egg color etc and would like to know which breed lays the largest eggs. Is there a specific breed that tends to lay "double yolkers"? Thanks for any and all help!

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    We have RIRs, Red/Gold Sexlinks, BRs, and Light Brahmas, and we have gotten several double yolkers. I have not listed all of our breeds, but the ones listed are the only ones who could possibly be the culprits in our flock. I am inclined to believe that it is the BRs laying ours. As for who lays the largest eggs consistently, as opposed to and intermittent double yolker, my vote would go for either Salmon Favorelles or Red/Gold sexlinks. We get lovely jumbo eggs from them daily.

3. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I would have to reccomend naked necks / Turkens , I frequently have had double yolkers and enormous eggs from mine although they are not attractive [​IMG]

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Quote:What do you mean they are not attractive!? [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks lay the largest eggs of all mine.

6. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i have heard that pearl white leghorns lay prolificly and lay LARGE white eggs... and doubble yolkers...lol ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by