Help Please!!

If I may add, I would seriously consider starting her on oral antibiotics, before you decide about cutting the foot. Looks like she's had the problem a while and if it's in her bloodstream then antibiotics should really help her.
What do you recommend Amiga?

Storey's Guide recommends penicillin for 10 to 14 days. If there is not a good response to that, then a bacteria culture would need to be done to choose a more appropriate antibiotic.

But there are others on the forum who prefer different antibiotics. So far, we have been able to catch bumble foot early and treat it topically. So we have not had to get oral antibiotics.

Some on the Duck Forum have mentioned Baytril. And there are a number of others, including something Storey's mentions for fighting Staphylococcus (which can be the bacteria causing bumble foot), Gallimycin, Terramycin, and novobiocin.

Storey's Guide recommends penicillin for 10 to 14 days. If there is not a good response to that, then a bacteria culture would need to be done to choose a more appropriate antibiotic.

But there are others on the forum who prefer different antibiotics. So far, we have been able to catch bumble foot early and treat it topically. So we have not had to get oral antibiotics.

Some on the Duck Forum have mentioned Baytril. And there are a number of others, including something Storey's mentions for fighting Staphylococcus (which can be the bacteria causing bumble foot), Gallimycin, Terramycin, and novobiocin.
I hope she can get it under control with out surgery, but i think she came home with her with this from what I can remember. Sure hoping the soaking will take care of it. Too bad we're all so far apart that we can't just jump in the car and go help each other when things like this arise.

ok this might sound stupid but how would i dose penicillin to a duck?. my stepmom wanted to know if i should try lanceing the thing(still not sure what it is) on the bottom of her foot them soak her foot in epsome salt water?.

poultry09,

I am not trying to rush you into antibiotics. I shy away from them unless I am stuck with no other options...

But since it takes some time to decide what to use, and since the duck has a swollen joint (do I recall that correctly?) I would not rule out that you may need to really think about it in the not-too-distant future.

Miss Lydia, I agree it would be so much better to be able to go see each other and really help with duck care. On the other hand, at least we are able to find each other online.

I hope she can get it under control with out surgery, but i think she came home with her with this from what I can remember. Sure hoping the soaking will take care of it. Too bad we're all so far apart that we can't just jump in the car and go help each other when things like this arise.

yea she was limping when i brought her home from the lake now i fell bad cause i didnt see the wound on her foot when i first looked.

poultry09,

I am not trying to rush you into antibiotics. I shy away from them unless I am stuck with no other options...

But since it takes some time to decide what to use, and since the duck has a swollen joint (do I recall that correctly?) I would not rule out that you may need to really think about it in the not-too-distant future.

Miss Lydia, I agree it would be so much better to be able to go see each other and really help with duck care. On the other hand, at least we are able to find each other online.

well i plan on calling the vet tomorow and if they can take a look at her and i can afford it i will take her in to get it checked out the last vet i called they wanted $75 for a check up but my stepmom said that they where the most exspencive so i am calling a different tomorow

poultry09, please don't feel bad about not noticing. It's tough to catch on to everything that is happening with a duck, and one you aren't familiar with yet.

Penicillin can be given orally or by injection. Even if the vet can give you an idea of what kind of antibiotic would be best, that would be a help.

Unlike many cysts, bumble foot's inner yuckiness has been described on the forum as a cottage cheese consistency, so lancing would not make enough room for the material to come out. So a slit would need to be cut in the foot.

Now, if it's not done properly the cutting can cause a bunch of bleeding, and there is the risk of additional infection if the wound is not kept clean enough long enough after cutting, and with a duck, hooooo, wee, it can be tough to keep their feet clean. It involves wrapping the foot. It can be done, it is far from impossible, and it is a real learning experience!

Many of us have done well with lots of soaking, lots of topical antibiotic, and time and patience.

Here is a topic posted to show how one person deals with bumble foot on a chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

newbyduckmom just had to go through the surgery. Again, you may not need to or want to. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/617479/bumblefoot

And it takes a while for the healing to finish.

I have more bad news
hit.gif
. I got home yesterday and went up to put the animals away and noticed that one of the sebbies (the lavender female) that i rescued from the lake and noticed that she multiple "pad" looking things all over both her feet. they did not look like the one on the ducks feet and they are not affecting her walking at all. so now i have two birds with these things on thier feet and the goose is not very tame and her mate attacks me when i pick her up. I dont know what to do i am loosing my head
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom