HELP!!! Premature chick with intestines out!

Mar 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello, could anyone please help. We have had a chick prematurely hatched overnight. His yolk sack has been out so I have let him in the incubator to absorb it, which it has, but also it did stuck to the bottom of the chick and his intestines. It is quite possible that he might have pulled some out too. I have detached and removed the yolk sack under running warm water and freed the intestines and returned him into incubator to dry up. His intestines are, however, protruding a lot and his legs are shivering. All things look clean now, but I am still worried the stuff will get dried up and attach to his legs which can prevent him from retracting it back. Are there any chances that the intestines will still retract and he will make it? We hate to see him suffering. I am attaching pictures of his condition.

Attachments

• chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 115
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 84
Hello, could anyone please help. We have had a chick prematurely hatched overnight. His yolk sack has been out so I have let him in the incubator to absorb it, which it has, but also it did stuck to the bottom of the chick and his intestines. It is quite possible that he might have pulled some out too. I have detached and removed the yolk sack under running warm water and freed the intestines and returned him into incubator to dry up. His intestines are, however, protruding a lot and his legs are shivering. All things look clean now, but I am still worried the stuff will get dried up and attach to his legs which can prevent him from retracting it back. Are there any chances that the intestines will still retract and he will make it? We hate to see him suffering. I am attaching pictures of his condition.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. Unfortunately this never seems to end well. I'd start by always having some grippy shelf liner on the bottom of the incubator prior to hatching, that helps them gain strength in their legs and not get stuck.
I personally, would probably just cull, as sad as it is. They would very rarely ever go back in, they'd just dry up and fall off. And then he'd be missing intestines, which would not go well. If you want to, you can of course try and see how it goes. You never know. If you do, I'd brood him by himself so they don't get pecked at, on clean, dry towels. I'd probably put something on the intestine area, but I'm not sure what would be best since I've never dealt with it. Maybe iodine or triple antibiotic ointment?
And I'd give electrolyte water.
I wish you the best of luck with him if you try to give him a chance, and my condolences if you put him down now. It's just a difficult situation, I'm sorry you had to be put in it. :hugs

you removed the yolk sack?? You shouldn't remove the yolk... This is the lifeline for premature chicks.

I have heard only one or two success stories with this, one was very complex and the person attempted to put them back into the naval- they kept everything clean and soft for his tummy and kept it alone until healed- and the chick did well, at least for the first few days, the tummy closed up. I don't know if it survived past that point.
The second they were protruding just a small amount, and tucked back inside by themselves.
But these scenarios are rare, usually they will dry out, or they are left open to infection.
It's your choice, what you want to try and do, but I would decide quickly

We haven't cut of the yolk sack and I think we should have.. in fact I think we should have played in between (letting it partially get absorbed). As he was still attached to yolk sack, he must have pulled his intestines out by his leg as it might have got entangled. The story has a sad ending, but next time we will be wiser. We had one more chick hatched with prolapse in that batch a couple of days later. The prolapse was not that bad though. We have gently pushed it in with. It is looking alright, lively and feeding at the moment.

We haven't cut of the yolk sack and I think we should have.. in fact I think we should have played in between (letting it partially get absorbed). As he was still attached to yolk sack, he must have pulled his intestines out by his leg as it might have got entangled. The story has a sad ending, but next time we will be wiser. We had one more chick hatched with prolapse in that batch a couple of days later. The prolapse was not that bad though. We have gently pushed it in with. It is looking alright, lively and feeding at the moment.
its not a good idea to cut the yolk off, in this situation it usually doesn't work out. There are limited options and never any guarantees. Hopefully you wont have to deal with this again. I'm sorry for your loss- and hopefully this other chick makes it...!

Back
Top Bottom