HELP! problem with neighbor

Does your city ordinance allow his chickens to trespass on your property? I doubt it. I would find the right place to call and report his chickens as a nuisance on your property. Call every single time his chickens are on your property.
I think it is terrible to kill wildlife because someone cant or wont do the right thing to keep their animals safe.
If no official agency can do anything, maybe catch the chickens and rehome them.
Good luck. So sorry about what you had to hear with the fox. I wouldn't be able to handle it either and might actually end up in jail if it were me.
Our town require that chickens be kept on your own property.

I can understand being angry at someone. Let's be fair, the chickens themselves don't deserve to be shot because the owner isn't being cooperative. So don't take it out on them. Did they give a reason for not wanting to put up a fence? I think a nicer approach would be to research your city/county/state/township (if applicable) ordinances/laws on animal control. Because I think people's animals are not supposed to be loose for the most part, like how dogs are usually supposed to be leashed. And if they're coming onto your property it does pose a problem. Definitely ask what the rules are from whoever is in charge of ordinances and zoning laws where you live if it's not stated or clearly stated on a website. At the very least you should be able to submit a complaint somewhere and that might enforce them to have them fenced in. Now that's a shot worth taking. ;)

Long story short, it might be your legal responsibility to make a fence to keep them off your property and not his to make a fence to keep them in.

A responsible animal owner would put up a fence. It's up to the animals owner to legally keep the animal on their property period. This should apply to all animals. This person would rather kill animals rather then being responsible and making the area safe. That is an issue. I can completely understand the frustration here. Thankfully I don't have neighbors like that.

A responsible animal owner would put up a fence. It's up to the animals owner to legally keep the animal on their property period. This should apply to all animals. This person would rather kill animals rather then being responsible and making the area safe. That is an issue. I can completely understand the frustration here. Thankfully I don't have neighbors like that.

I think this depends what country and what part of the country you live in. More of the land here is open range than is occupied by homes. Ranchers here have the right of way. Laws vary accordingly. If I don’t want free range cattle roaming on my property I’m required to fence them out. I don’t feel ranchers are irresponsible by using the 1000s of acres of range and their grazing rights by not keeping their livestock confined to small private lots.

However, my point was really to learn the local laws as to who is responsible for the fence. It’s as much your own responsibility to fence your own property to protect it from unwanted visitors.

I have visited a number of third world countries. If you let your cat, dog, or chicken wander on to someone else's property, you just fed that family for the night. In a way, it's the ultimate animal control and places the responsibility of protecting the pet/livestock on the owners themselves where the burden belongs.

If the chicke s fly over u can shoot them cause they rnt endangered but personally I'd move once a bad naighbour always a bad naighbour
And as far as the wildlife I'm srry but I'm on his side for that we where born to hunt and unfortunately some of use love doi g it but u rnt allowed to kill all the wildlife u r givin a certain amount of each breed or kind of animal u want like I'm allowed to kill 20 foxes idont kill 20 foxes but legally I'm allowed to do it plus foxes wont just kill chicken they will kill ewes and lambs and for a lot of people around where I live sheep r what pay there Bill's
But I'd try trapping and selling the chickens first before doing anything

A few days ago, I found a rattlesnake in the two acres I call my backyard - it didn't survive. I have a Coon Hound who will wake me up in the middle of the night to let me know there is something in a tree out there. if it's a coon or possum . . . I'm sitting here reading this with a fly swatter in my hand, mouse traps in my barn, thinking of thawing some elk steaks to grill later, and not one bit concerned about what my neighbors would think of my perfectly legal decisions. I don't think they'll be gunning for my chickens who very rarely, but occasionally do sneak over there (never to their house or yard, it's up the road a few hundred yards) but just a little over the line. I slow way down, or stop, nearly every day, especially after rains, to push their geese and ducks out of the puddles in the county road. I never felt the urge to run one over though, even though legally I could, not even the geese who fake attack my vehicle as I roll through. He waves thanks, if he's around. I hear a shot once in a while at night over there too, and appreciate it. Our dogs are best friends, his visits here more than mine visits there. They're both boys who don't bother birds or livestock. His is an Aussie.

Last edited:
If the chicke s fly over u can shoot them cause they rnt endangered but personally I'd move once a bad naighbour always a bad naighbour
And as far as the wildlife I'm srry but I'm on his side for that we where born to hunt and unfortunately some of use love doi g it but u rnt allowed to kill all the wildlife u r givin a certain amount of each breed or kind of animal u want like I'm allowed to kill 20 foxes idont kill 20 foxes but legally I'm allowed to do it plus foxes wont just kill chicken they will kill ewes and lambs and for a lot of people around where I live sheep r what pay there Bill's
But I'd try trapping and selling the chickens first before doing anything
Foxes near towns kill more house cats than anything.

Back
Top Bottom