Help! Pullet is unwell

SayChicken

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I have a 14 week old Pullet that I found listless this afternoon. I thought she was dehydrated because she might not have been getting enough water from the nipple waterer that I just introduced a few days ago. I gave her a bowl of water and with some vitamin powder and she did spend time drinking. A couple hours later she seems worse and looks to be breathing heavy. I thought I noticed 2 days ago a spot of clear discharge from her nose (but maybe that was water from the nipple waterer?). What can I do for her? We don’t have a chicken vet anywhere local.
- Clear liquid ran out of her mouth when I tipped her to put her in an isolation crate. This is most likely the water she drank earlier.
- Now in crate, she pooped yellowish watery discharge. Diarrhea?

Attachments

• 53889660-8EB6-49B5-8F2F-F088B19A72D3.jpeg
    53889660-8EB6-49B5-8F2F-F088B19A72D3.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have a 14 week old Pullet that I found listless this afternoon. I thought she was dehydrated because she might not have been getting enough water from the nipple waterer that I just introduced a few days ago. I gave her a bowl of water and with some vitamin powder and she did spend time drinking. A couple hours later she seems worse and looks to be breathing heavy. I thought I noticed 2 days ago a spot of clear discharge from her nose (but maybe that was water from the nipple waterer?). What can I do for her? We don’t have a chicken vet anywhere local.
Do her lungs sound raspy? same things going on with mine rn.

Do her lungs sound raspy? same things going on with mine rn.
I just separate her from the flock and when I lifted her up and put her in the crate she was tipped forward and fluid ran right out of her beak. Likely the water she drank a couple hours ago

I’m making an electrolytes mixture now that I googled. Should I try and get her to drink some now or wait …I’m just worried as when I put her I a crate I tipped her over and water ran out of her mouth (I’m thinking this was water that she drank earlier).
[/ICODE]

Did your pullet recover after drinking the electrolytes?
No she didn’t. I made a nest for her in the crate with a blanket and when I checked on her later she was sleeping. Next morning I found her dead unfortunately. She had gotten out on her nest though. So sad as I only had 4 hens and three Roos to get rid of (why couldn’t it have been a Roo?!). Now I only have 3 hens this winter in a coop too big for them. I was worried she had something transmissible that the others would get but weeks later they are all fine. She had been a weaker chick so maybe this moult they all went into was just too hard on her …I did switch to nipple waterer so I think that all the stress just did her in. 🤷‍♀️

No she didn’t. I made a nest for her in the crate with a blanket and when I checked on her later she was sleeping. Next morning I found her dead unfortunately. She had gotten out on her nest though. So sad as I only had 4 hens and three Roos to get rid of (why couldn’t it have been a Roo?!). Now I only have 3 hens this winter in a coop too big for them. I was worried she had something transmissible that the others would get but weeks later they are all fine. She had been a weaker chick so maybe this moult they all went into was just too hard on her …I did switch to nipple waterer so I think that all the stress just did her in. 🤷‍♀️
It's something that happens sometimes unfortunately. I'm so sorry about your hen. It's good to know your other birds are doing fine, despite your less than ideal roo to pullet ratio. I hope you'll be able to rehome the boys soon. I wouldn't blame yourself, if all the others were okay with the nipple waterer it might have been that she was ill before the change.

Back
Top Bottom