Help! Rabbit with cluster of abscesses

kylen2007

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Ohio
We got a blue dutch for my daughter for Christmas. The weekend before I noticed two abscesses between her ear and eye. The store we purchased her from covered any health issues in the first month. I took her in and they said itblooks like she was bit by another bunny. We have been doing warm compresses for almost a month! Every time we get rid of one another 2 show up. She currently has 6 abscesses in a closter. She is eating, drinking, playing. She even grooms my husbands beard while he pets her. She is so sweet. I am just concerned for the actual cause of the abscesses bc I am pretty sure it isnt from being bitten considering she hasn't been near another rabbit since we got her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We reallu can't afford a large vet bill.

While you are not in a position for a large vet bill I would suggest finding the money for an office visit/exam at the very least to determine what is actually going on with the bunny--the treatment may be less costly than you are anticipating (if not you can at least make an informed decision at that point).

While you are not in a position for a large vet bill I would suggest finding the money for an office visit/exam at the very least to determine what is actually going on with the bunny--the treatment may be less costly than you are anticipating (if not you can at least make an informed decision at that point).

X2 Great advice.

I am calling the store today. And searching for a vet that treats rabbits. Unfortubately where I live there are not many of those. Weird bc I live in the country.

Quote: Rabbits have an annoying habit of walling off infections, so systemic antibiotics are often not very helpful in persistent cases like this. (Giving a rabbit antibiotics can cause potentially fatal digestive issues, so you really need to be careful about which antibiotic you use). The original break in the skin may have been a bite, but the bacteria that caused the abscesses have set up housekeeping, and getting them out may take a while. The area needs to be clipped, and the abscesses opened and flushed out, then kept open/cleaned out while the area heals - and that may mean surgery. For some reason, rabbits are considered "exotics," and finding a vet that will see a rabbit can be tricky. Good luck!

I have no idea whether this is the case or not. I am not very experienced with diseases in rabbits. However, I have seen clusters of abscesses like this before. Turned out it was a staph infection. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to have a culture run, and once you know what you are dealing with, you and the vet will know better how to treat it.

Turned out it was a staph infection.
Yes, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned antibiotics.
Quote:
As far as vet treatment goes, surgery can be a worry. They don't handle anaesthetics as easily as "domestic"' animals.

There's no way I'd be considering outlaying for surgery for a newly acquired pet and I would return it to the store. They gave you an unhealthy animal and it is their responsibility to deal with the issue.

I'm so sorry for you all. You shouldn't be having to deal with this.
sad.png

Last edited:
I spoke with the pet store and they are contacting te manager but the staff doesnt see any reason they won't cover the vet bill since the issue started a few days after I got her and I took her in for them to see. So its an ongoing issue that they are aware of. I won't know for sure until the manager is back in though. They also found me a vet I can take her to that treats rabbits and has fair pricing. I really don't want to return her. I couldn't ask for a sweeter rabbit. She is a snuggler and uses er littter box. Definately a lover. She grooms my husbands beard and gives me and the kids kisses when she wants lovins. Just a pain to have to deal with this for a month already and it is getting worse. :/

Back
Top Bottom