1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Rabbit with cluster of abscesses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kylen2007, Jan 16, 2016.

1. kylen2007

kylen2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    We got a blue dutch for my daughter for Christmas. The weekend before I noticed two abscesses between her ear and eye. The store we purchased her from covered any health issues in the first month. I took her in and they said itblooks like she was bit by another bunny. We have been doing warm compresses for almost a month! Every time we get rid of one another 2 show up. She currently has 6 abscesses in a closter. She is eating, drinking, playing. She even grooms my husbands beard while he pets her. She is so sweet. I am just concerned for the actual cause of the abscesses bc I am pretty sure it isnt from being bitten considering she hasn't been near another rabbit since we got her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We reallu can't afford a large vet bill.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    While you are not in a position for a large vet bill I would suggest finding the money for an office visit/exam at the very least to determine what is actually going on with the bunny--the treatment may be less costly than you are anticipating (if not you can at least make an informed decision at that point).

3. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    Ok. Thank you

4. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    X2 Great advice.

5. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

If this is the same issue, the store should cover the expenses.

A course of antibiotics might be all that is needed.

6. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    I am calling the store today. And searching for a vet that treats rabbits. Unfortubately where I live there are not many of those. Weird bc I live in the country.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have no idea whether this is the case or not. I am not very experienced with diseases in rabbits. However, I have seen clusters of abscesses like this before. Turned out it was a staph infection. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to have a culture run, and once you know what you are dealing with, you and the vet will know better how to treat it.

9. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Yes, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned antibiotics.
    Quote:
    As far as vet treatment goes, surgery can be a worry. They don't handle anaesthetics as easily as "domestic"' animals.

There's no way I'd be considering outlaying for surgery for a newly acquired pet and I would return it to the store. They gave you an unhealthy animal and it is their responsibility to deal with the issue.

I'm so sorry for you all. You shouldn't be having to deal with this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  10. kylen2007

Mar 18, 2015
    Ohio
    I spoke with the pet store and they are contacting te manager but the staff doesnt see any reason they won't cover the vet bill since the issue started a few days after I got her and I took her in for them to see. So its an ongoing issue that they are aware of. I won't know for sure until the manager is back in though. They also found me a vet I can take her to that treats rabbits and has fair pricing. I really don't want to return her. I couldn't ask for a sweeter rabbit. She is a snuggler and uses er littter box. Definately a lover. She grooms my husbands beard and gives me and the kids kisses when she wants lovins. Just a pain to have to deal with this for a month already and it is getting worse. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by