Help really needed with sick runner duck over here in Holland

@Loopeend hi there.
She seemed a bit better yesterday after 5th AB injection but altho shes eating earth worms.. dried meel worms and drinking.. she is now opening and closing her beak at intervals as tho she is breathless?.. when i picked her up water came out of her beak and nostrils.. not some but a lot ..like she was sick.

I give them watervogel korrel food and they have some biological chicken food with wheat and corn etc.

I havent a clue whats wrong with her .. shes still not walking or standing. She seems sleepy and still has half closed eyes.. sort of squinty eyes. I sent a mail to the bird hospital in Zelham with the video standing on her elbows as i call it.. and thet replied that the problem was the lower back disc and pelvis ( laatste lende wervel/bekken)

She is also on metacam.. i dont have a good feeling about this. Two days ago she was quacking back at me in the car but now she cant make a sound.. she could be stressed to...she did this open and close beak at the vets for the first time yesterday.. i took her in the car and she stopped.

The vit b i ordered at medpets online.
Its for cats dogs pigeons rats etc.. dosage is on the back.
Greetings a worried Hil

@Loopeend the garden is large enough the have mud bits, grass and forage around themselves so i feed them about 3.30 some extra duck food if they want it

How can they know that with out Xrays? Any chance of getting any Xrays? could she have injured her back some how? When did she lay last if old enough. And since your taking her to get these shots what does that vet think is going on with her especially with the open mouth breathing?

How can they know that with out Xrays? Any chance of getting any Xrays? could she have injured her back some how? When did she lay last if old enough. And since your taking her to get these shots what does that vet think is going on with her especially with the open mouth breathing?

The vet especially felt her back and pelvis yesterday after i got the email reply.. she didnt flinch or make a sound so it seemed fine.. one min shes eating and drinking and sleeping in a normal duck way, nibbling on my hand and then she does the beak opening thing when i pick her up.. or stress in some way. She hasnt laid yet neither has her sister.. the were born april last year. The vet isnt sure either.. he is worried it could be a virus.. but wouldnt her sister and maybe the chicken be sick too?

Ps we do have lots of pigeons and collared doves and sparrows etc in the garden so thats why the vet gave het daptomycine i think it was as it covers a wide range

Open mouth breathing can also come from stress or being picked up and pressing on an overly filled crop area especially if she is drinking a lot of water. Sometimes when I pick up one of mine whether chicken or duck they will breathe through their mouth and after I reposition them they stop. Have they done blood work? Seems blood work would show something up. I don't know what the incubation time is for viruses but these are things you'll need to discuss with your vet. Hopefully it isn't. Is the shot an antibiotic?

@Miss Lydia yes i wondered about the picking up and stress. I need to walk the dogs so put her with her sister in a closed off safe place while im out.. she was in the sun with the other two. I picked her up under her tummy and held her under the beak itself and that was better. We havent done bloods no.. the 5 day course of injections are antibiotica (AB) yes. Yesterday was the last .. the vet wants to see what she does without them and give the AB a chance to do its thing instead of just pumping her full of it. He said that the injections could make her feel better but also cover up as to whats going on.

Hopefully they will kick in if it's an infection. Maybe blood work next if not. But lets be optimistic. They are so good at coming back. Keep us updated.

Hopefully they will kick in if it's an infection. Maybe blood work next if not. But lets be optimistic. They are so good at coming back. Keep us updated.

Thank you.
Yes thats true .. i hope an infection or bacteria .. i know with a bacteria when.you put in antibiotica first it gets worse. I have lyme disease and the first time they put doxycycline in i felt 20x worse .. so maybe with her too.
If she gets worse i wont let her suffer thats for sure

Back
Top Bottom