Help really needed with sick runner duck over here in Holland

How is her egg-laying?

No eggs yet neither her sister.. no first egg yet .. they are from april 2018... sorry but need to do a bit of dutch here so excuses to the rest

@Loopeend ze springt van hak op de tak qua gedrag.. eerst 3 x vandaag over mij heen "kotsen" wat trouwens rook van strand, zout lucht en opengerukt mosselen zonder te koken... dan gaat ze vrolijk samen met dr zus op mijn hand zitten happen en staart schudden.heen en weer. Ze heeft super goed gegeten en gedronken.. ik snap er de ballen van... enige wat dit op lijkt wat wij kunnen vinden is botulisme... poten en voeten die niet werken.. raar ogen .. geen geluid (eergisteren wel) kunnen maken maar dit heeft zij nu al 11 dagen en pas na 6 dagen de AB spuiten.. anders was ze a lang toch dood geweest met botulisme?

No eggs yet neither her sister.. no first egg yet .. they are from april 2018... sorry but need to do a bit of dutch here so excuses to the rest

@Loopeend ze springt van hak op de tak qua gedrag.. eerst 3 x vandaag over mij heen "kotsen" wat trouwens rook van strand, zout lucht en opengerukt mosselen zonder te koken... dan gaat ze vrolijk samen met dr zus op mijn hand zitten happen en staart schudden.heen en weer. Ze heeft super goed gegeten en gedronken.. ik snap er de ballen van... enige wat dit op lijkt wat wij kunnen vinden is botulisme... poten en voeten die niet werken.. raar ogen .. geen geluid (eergisteren wel) kunnen maken maar dit heeft zij nu al 11 dagen en pas na 6 dagen de AB spuiten.. anders was ze a lang toch dood geweest met botulisme?

Hmm.. the most from april 2018 I know have started laying around september-oktober due to our unusual warm weather conditions the past two years. Even the ones from may. Could it be egg-binding (legnood)?

You mentioned the breathing, and that is seems to revolve the hip-area, and puking. When they suffer from egg-binding (legnood) it can press on the lungs (breathing) other inside organs (puking) and they can have a hard time to stand due to fatigue/pain/spreading of the pelvic area, and have unclear eyes and watery diahrea . And in the video's it looks like she keeps het behind more in a pose (but up, but feathers spread)

Here is a Dutch article on it;
http://www.jeroenhubert.nl/legnood-vogels/

They give some tips but I would probably go to the vet again to ask if this is a possibility. I'm not such fan of rubbing oil on it's cloaca, putting it in a wet towel, and steam it a above cooking water, or giving it hot-cold baths, and probing the cloaca with blunt needles hahahaha! I'd rather leave that to the experts.

Last edited:
Here are some other tips in this wikihow article for chickens that might be less scary to try out;

https://nl.wikihow.com/Een-kip-van-legnood-genezen

Some warm water other heat sources are suggested a lot; you might try some that make your duck not stressed out. The warm water thing would be not much of a problem since it is a duck and not a chicken. And if it not works it does not hurt.

here is a youtube movie from an egg binding duck;
Maybe you recognize some behaviour. The wing-thing and the pose.

I never had them have this behaviour while egg-bound, only wings down and heavy breathing, and cramps her foot like yours does, but this one does nothing with the feet. So I guess it difers a bit duck to duck.

Last edited:
Hi @Loopeend
Thx for that info.
This morning she had gone downhill a lot and didnt want any water at all. She was very breathless and she had wetness coming from her nostrils. Her sister and the chicken were next to her but very silent... animals have an amazing instinct that things are wrong.

I phoned the vet and could come straight away. He and his wife saw a huge difference in the day before yesterday in a negative way. The was no tension in her wings and she was going cold in the muscles already. Her eyes were dull and she had difficulty breathing. The vet was pretty sure that it was a virus and we decided to let her go. Its so damn sad as we all, including the sweet duck herself had been fighting this for the last 12 days but it was kinder for her. Im sure it wasnt any egg issue.

All in all a sad end for a young babe.
I was dreading taking her to her sister as they were so close but even though she ran up to the gate when i went in the garden and placed her in the towel on the ground it was as if she knew already. She was chattering away and quacking.. took a few more looks and went foreging. She seemed to take it better than me.
The chicken came to look and walked off quickly.
I will bury her in the front garden away from the others to be safer.
I dont know what her sister will do now.. will she need another "sister". ? Shes an only runner now with a chicken.. all these things rush around in your head.. what to do
Hugs
A sad Hil :(

Hi @Loopeend
Thx for that info.
This morning she had gone downhill a lot and didnt want any water at all. She was very breathless and she had wetness coming from her nostrils. Her sister and the chicken were next to her but very silent... animals have an amazing instinct that things are wrong.

I phoned the vet and could come straight away. He and his wife saw a huge difference in the day before yesterday in a negative way. The was no tension in her wings and she was going cold in the muscles already. Her eyes were dull and she had difficulty breathing. The vet was pretty sure that it was a virus and we decided to let her go. Its so damn sad as we all, including the sweet duck herself had been fighting this for the last 12 days but it was kinder for her. Im sure it wasnt any egg issue.

All in all a sad end for a young babe.
I was dreading taking her to her sister as they were so close but even though she ran up to the gate when i went in the garden and placed her in the towel on the ground it was as if she knew already. She was chattering away and quacking.. took a few more looks and went foreging. She seemed to take it better than me.
The chicken came to look and walked off quickly.
I will bury her in the front garden away from the others to be safer.
I dont know what her sister will do now.. will she need another "sister". ? Shes an only runner now with a chicken.. all these things rush around in your head.. what to do
Hugs
A sad Hil :(

Oh how awfull! Condolances!

She would like a new sister I guess. A chicken is not a duck in the long run. Baby-duck season is right around the corner so you could get a new duckling when you are ready, and in the meantime a chicken will do. Or an adult duck offcourse. Take your time. No hurry.

Hug back.

Oh how awfull! Condolances!

She would like a new sister I guess. A chicken is not a duck in the long run. Baby-duck season is right around the corner so you could get a new duckling when you are ready, and in the meantime a chicken will do. Or an adult duck offcourse. Take your time. No hurry.

Hug back.

Thank you @Loopeend .. it was tough for sure. We managed to get a nest sister for her yesterday. We were going to wait a bit, but she couldnt.. she was so distressed and running around after me in the garden all day when I went to see how she was. She was so upset. She now has a new sister.. black like she is, and 10 mths old from the same place we got her fron. And after 3 seconds they were running around quacking together and 5 mins later they were in the water bath together.. no problem whatsover. They are happy.

We also got two little chickens for our other chicken who was on her own.. all are happy and get on fine.

Hugs
Hil

Back
Top Bottom