Help rooster attack on new chick!!

Spring lilys

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
When my chicks were fairly young around a week old, I was bring them outside and I had got 2 in the grass before my buff rooster ran over and picked my Rhode Island chick by the leg with its beak and mangled the leg. It had looked like straddle leg symptoms, one leg was sideways with curled toes and the chick would just hop around dragging the injured leg.

So after a few days I moved the baby in the house and started straddle leg treatment (bandaids, vet tape, pipe cleaner, standing in the cup) anything I could do..The chick is now 1 month old and no has made no progress. I’m just so heartbroken to see it suffer because of me🥺 the baby is eating and drinking okay but is looking weak and staying small.my other chicks are 3x the size and already out of the brooder. I don’t know if being by itself all day is causing this, I just want my chick to not suffer anymore🥺

I will attach a picture. I don’t think it was straddle leg in the first place. It seems like there’s 2 joins in the leg or it’s out of place I don’t know this is my 2nd flock of baby chicks so I’m learning along the way.. Please any advice would be appreciated! I hope I can still treat this in time so this will not be a lifelong problem:( so the attack was about 1week old and the chick is 4weeks now.

Attachments

• 7384056E-3F4B-44BA-A141-9AD260369BA4.jpeg
    7384056E-3F4B-44BA-A141-9AD260369BA4.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 31
When my chicks were fairly young around a week old, I was bring them outside and I had got 2 in the grass before my buff rooster ran over and picked my Rhode Island chick by the leg with its beak and mangled the leg. It had looked like straddle leg symptoms, one leg was sideways with curled toes and the chick would just hop around dragging the injured leg.

So after a few days I moved the baby in the house and started straddle leg treatment (bandaids, vet tape, pipe cleaner, standing in the cup) anything I could do..The chick is now 1 month old and no has made no progress. I’m just so heartbroken to see it suffer because of me🥺 the baby is eating and drinking okay but is looking weak and staying small.my other chicks are 3x the size and already out of the brooder. I don’t know if being by itself all day is causing this, I just want my chick to not suffer anymore🥺

I will attach a picture. I don’t think it was straddle leg in the first place. It seems like there’s 2 joins in the leg or it’s out of place I don’t know this is my 2nd flock of baby chicks so I’m learning along the way.. Please any advice would be appreciated! I hope I can still treat this in time so this will not be a lifelong problem:( so the attack was about 1week old and the chick is 4weeks now.
That looks broken, & needs vet attention. I've never dealt with broken legs, only broken pelvises.

Back
Top Bottom