HELP- ROOSTER HAS YELLOW DRAINAGE FROM EYES AND NOSE

ooltewah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Ooltewah, TN
Please help me- Easter- my son's rooster that was his daddy's who got killed in motorcycle accident three months ago- I am trying to keep him alive. Have him in a box and he won't eat or drink. I have used VetRx on his beak and am wiping his eyes and nose often. I just got back for the Tractor supply, the only place around to get any supplies. The only dosage of Tylan was 200mg. I'm trying to find out the dose to give him. I scrambled eggs, he won't eat... How do I get water in him and food? I am a nurse and am very afraid of putting water and food in his lungs...I cannot find a tube to tube feed him... Suggestions? Dropper? I also bought some electrolytes and probiotics just to have... should I give him that also?

So you have Tylan200? Tylan200 is much stronger than Tylan50, which makes dosing difficult. I believe that the dosage for large fowl birds is .25ccs (which you could probably round to .2 or .3 depending on the size of the bird), and for bantams, it is about .1ccs (actually .125, but whole numbers are easier). You only give Tylan200 for three days, instead of five.

Some people would suggest tube feeding, but it can be difficult if you've never done it before, and you would need to get more supplies. Here's what I'd do for now:

Mix a little moistened feed with water until it is soupy and liquidy. Put this in a spoon, and try pressing the spoon against the rooster's beak. Some birds will open their beaks and swallow, while others will resist. You want to get him to "drink" most of the mixture. I've done this with some of my bantams, and I give them maybe a total of 12 spoonfuls a day. Bantams are a lot smaller than large fowl, so you'd have to give more than that, which would likely be tedious and difficult. You can still try, however. You can give egg yolk to chickens the same way.

Try giving some electrolyte and probiotic water to him in an eyedropper. Add some sugar to it as well to give him energy. You could also try mixing some egg yolk with water until it gets thinner and able to be sucked up into an eyedropper, and give him some of that that way.

Another way of giving food is to moisten feed and mash it up, then form it into small lumps (I've used pea sized amounts for my bantams, but large fowl could have larger ones). Then, get someone else to gently pry open the rooster's beak. Pop in a morsel of feed while his beak is open, and he will likely swallow. This is time consuming, and requires two people, but it can work.

Hope this helps!

Please help me- Easter- my son's rooster that was his daddy's who got killed in motorcycle accident three months ago- I am trying to keep him alive. Have him in a box and he won't eat or drink. I have used VetRx on his beak and am wiping his eyes and nose often. I just got back for the Tractor supply, the only place around to get any supplies. The only dosage of Tylan was 200mg. I'm trying to find out the dose to give him. I scrambled eggs, he won't eat... How do I get water in him and food? I am a nurse and am very afraid of putting water and food in his lungs...I cannot find a tube to tube feed him... Suggestions? Dropper? I also bought some electrolytes and probiotics just to have... should I give him that also?

The Tylan200 dosage is .5ccs for large-fowl, .1-.3ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 3-4 days. Alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small guage needle, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Improvement should be seen after 2-3 days of treatment. Do not give probiotics, dairy products, or apple cider vinegar during Tylan treatment. The VetRX should help somewhat, as well.

I have never tube fed before, but have found other ways of getting sick birds to eat. Here are a few:

1. Mix some feed and perhaps some applesauce with water (preferably with vitamins/electrolytes in it) to form a thin soup. Hold a spoon with this mixture against the tip of the bird's beak; with many birds this will make them kind of start drinking the liquid. You can also suck up some of this "soup" with an eyedropper and drip some of it on the side of the bird's beak to get it to swallow.

2. Moisten some feed with water to form a sticky, but not too watery mixture. Form this mixture into bite sized morsels. With the help of someone else, gently open the bird's beak. Pop in a piece of the mixture, and then close the beak. This will usually cause the bird to swallow, if not, get some water and drip it into the beak to encourage swallowing.

3. Although this isn't as great an idea as the two above, you can also squirt some water into the bird's throat, or just put the water in the lower part of the beak. The only disadvantage of this is that it is possible to get the liquid into the bird's lungs.

In case you do manage to find a tube and want to tube feed, these are a few links to threads that might be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Last edited:
The Tylan200 dosage for large-fowl is .5ccs injected into one side of the breast once daily for 3-4 days. Alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small guage needle, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Improvement should be seen after 2-3 days of treatment. Do not give probiotics, dairy products, or apple cider vinegar during Tylan treatment. The VetRX should help somewhat, as well.

I have never tube fed before, but have found other ways of getting sick birds to eat. Here are a few:

1. Mix some feed and perhaps some applesauce with water (preferably with vitamins/electrolytes in it) to form a thin soup. Hold a spoon with this mixture against the tip of the bird's beak; with many birds this will make them kind of start drinking the liquid. You can also suck up some of this "soup" with an eyedropper and drip some of it on the side of the bird's beak to get it to swallow.

2. Moisten some feed with water to form a sticky, but not too watery mixture. Form this mixture into bite sized morsels. With the help of someone else, gently open the bird's beak. Pop in a piece of the mixture, and then close the beak. This will usually cause the bird to swallow, if not, get some water and drip it into the beak to encourage swallowing.

3. Although this isn't as great an idea as the two above, you can also squirt some water into the bird's throat, or just put the water in the lower part of the beak. The only disadvantage of this is that it is possible to get the liquid into the bird's lungs.

In case you do manage to find a tube and want to tube feed, these are a few links to threads that might be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Your dosages for Tylan200 are too high. For Tylan50, the dose is 1cc for large fowl and .5ccs for bantams. Tylan200 is four times stronger than Tylan50. So, the Tylan200 dosage should be 1/4 of the Tylan50 dosage. For large fowl, .25ccs is 1/4 of 1cc, while for bantams, .125ccs is 1/4 of .5ccs.

Your dosages for Tylan200 are too high. For Tylan50, the dose is 1cc for large fowl and .5ccs for bantams. Tylan200 is four times stronger than Tylan50. So, the Tylan200 dosage should be 1/4 of the Tylan50 dosage. For large fowl, .25ccs is 1/4 of 1cc, while for bantams, .125ccs is 1/4 of .5ccs.

Yes, I've heard of those dosages. But I've used the dosage I recommended on my own birds, with good results.

Back
Top Bottom