Help! Running out of options!

Her abdomen doesn't feel really that bad. Her crop is still fluid filled. Can EYP cause sour crop or visa versa? One infection that lead to a secondary?

Thank you for your advice by the way. It's a little easier to know there are others who have gone through this or have enough knowledge about it to help others. Bless you!

Absolutely.

For sour crop, you can try administering apple cider vinegar and probiotics to get her bacteria/yeast levels back in line.

I've also heard that giving Monistat (from Walgreens) can help with the yeast overgrowth, but your mileage may vary. I've never tried that before... perhaps as a last-ditch effort?

So it's just soft... no masses or bulges that you can feel?

If you lose another bird to mysterious circumstances, I would consider refrigerating her and checking with your local vet office for information on where to send her for a necropsy. Most state ag agencies will do it for free, but you'll need to pay shipping if you can't drop her off there. It is ALWAYS a good idea to get a definite diagnosis when you have losses like this.

I hope she recovers, though internal laying is an issue that could continue for the rest of her life. :/ It happens most often in production breeds.

MrsB

Her abdomen doesn't feel really that bad. Her crop is still fluid filled. Can EYP cause sour crop or visa versa? One infection that lead to a secondary?

Thank you for your advice by the way. It's a little easier to know there are others who have gone through this or have enough knowledge about it to help others. Bless you!

Welcome to BYC!

Crop problems are almost almost secondary to something more serious. Can you get her to a vet?

-Kathy

Thanks MrsB.

Yes her crop is just fluid. No mass or grit thathe I can easily palpate. I got some yogurt and will give it orally as she allows me to do so. She did eat some strawberries on her own yesterday so she's really hanging in there! She didn't drink yesterday but has been drinking a bit today thus far. She's posted herself at the glass door so she can see me and it's helped me keep an eye on her. I moved all her 'belongings' to thay area so she has easy access. So far so good.

Kathy- I did contact the vet I worked for and have some Baytril on the way. Pays to have connections still and a support staff that loves me! :) dosage is 1ml of the 2.27% orally once to twice daily for 5 days depending how she tolerates it. I will try to get some yogurt down before administration. If no improvement in 3 days then chances are she won't survive this.

We know this is a shot in the dark but we'll try! She's been at this a week now and I know time is against us. All we can do is try what we can and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Thanks MrsB.

Yes her crop is just fluid. No mass or grit thathe I can easily palpate. I got some yogurt and will give it orally as she allows me to do so. She did eat some strawberries on her own yesterday so she's really hanging in there! She didn't drink yesterday but has been drinking a bit today thus far. She's posted herself at the glass door so she can see me and it's helped me keep an eye on her. I moved all her 'belongings' to thay area so she has easy access. So far so good.

Kathy- I did contact the vet I worked for and have some Baytril on the way. Pays to have connections still and a support staff that loves me! :) dosage is 1ml of the 2.27% orally once to twice daily for 5 days depending how she tolerates it. I will try to get some yogurt down before administration. If no improvement in 3 days then chances are she won't survive this.

We know this is a shot in the dark but we'll try! She's been at this a week now and I know time is against us. All we can do is try what we can and hope for the best.

Glad you got some Baytril. Talk to the vet about giving Baytril subcutaneously or IM instead of orally, because if her crop is slow to clear, she's not gonna get much benefit from oral Baytril.

-Kathy

Thanks MrsB.

@ladyearth is correct! No yogurt with the Baytril.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom