Help! Severly injured chick

JRsMom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
One of my 4 wk old chicks got out of the brooder pen and into the run where the rooster attacked him. We were treating a small wound on the back of his neck when we discovered a large gaping hole. It is in its breast area, the breast is exposed, and I can see its thigh moving when it moves its leg. I covered the breast with Neosporin and wrapped a bandage around it. Is there anything else I can do? I have it in a hamster cage in the house with some water.

Clean wounds with diluted Betadine, and use the antibiotic ointment. Feed him soft chopped scrambled eggs for some extra protein. I would keep him near the other chicks in his own little cage so he stays part of the group. Watch him for signs of abscess or infection, and keep flies away from him (danger of fly strike and maggot in wounds.) Chickens can heal pretty amazingly sometimes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you, I am mostly concerned with infection at this point, at first I worried about shock or internal injury, but the little guy is pooping and doesn't seem to be in shock.

You can always start some antibiotics for infection since he had a deep wound. Some would recommend it, so would not. Erythromycin is good for about everything, and is under the brand name Gallimycin, which can be put in the water. Procaine Penicillin G is available at feed stores too, but I would cringe at having to give a 4 week old chick a shot into the breast muscle, which is how it is supposed to be given. Keeping the wound open and clean with normal saline for about 3 days, then applying the Neosporin afterward, might be wise to prevent an abscess. If you have any questions just ask, and update us on this thread on his condition.

thank you! This is the first brood raised by my broody hen, she is starting to leave them during the day. I think that's why it flew over the fence. They really miss her when she's gone.

update: I went to town this morning and got some saline and beta-dine . Removed bandage from wound, cleaned with saline completely covered with beta-dine and neosporine. Chick is eating and drinking well. I left the wound uncovered, the hole next to the breast was closed, now just have to keep my fingers crossed. Is there anyway to know if infection is starting to set in?

Reddened skin, swelling, pus, or foul-smelling drainage can be signs of infection. If a wound closes up too fast, it can abscess in 2-3 days--this would appear puffy and soft. If you notice any green coloration around the wound, it probably is a bruise.

Well, I just cleaned the wound again, no signs of infection, or healing for that matter. Poor little bugger, I'm sure it hurts like crazy when I clean it. I wasn't able to get any antibiotic today, everything is closed except Walgreens. Will check at feed store &vets office tomorrow.

The saline is probably enough. Betadine has a tendency to prevent healing (as does peroxide,) but both are good to use once to clean a wound.
Well, I just cleaned the wound again, no signs of infection, or healing for that matter. Poor little bugger, I'm sure it hurts like crazy when I clean it. I wasn't able to get any antibiotic today, everything is closed except Walgreens. Will check at feed store &vets office tomorrow.
Sounds to me like a good reason to wrap him up and hold him for awhile, LOL. I sure hope he gets along well for you.

Back
Top Bottom