Help! Severly injured chick

As eggcessive said , hydrogen peroxide should only be used for the initial cleaning of the wound. We use it on our horses and found that it actually retards the healing with continued use.
I have an antibiotic spray called Terramycin ( for pink eye in cattle ) . It is a great wound care product. We have used it on all creatures , large and small. I prefer to use a spray as once you have irrigated the wound and let it dry , spraying is less intrusive to the wound than applying ointment.
I believe it is also available in a powder puff form. Good luck with your baby.

update The little chick is doing better, good appetite and plenty of energy to struggle during wound cleaning time. She enjoys watching TV with my 13 yr. old son. I stopped at hardware store and picked up some blue-kote and an oral antibiotic. I couldn't get the type you mentioned eggcessive, but did get one specifically for chickens. Today its big cage and outside for a while. I cant put her back in the pen with the other chicks yet because of the weather (first monsoon like rain now chilly) but she can visit. Thank you for all your help, I will try to keep you updated

update the little chick has been officially named Rosie, she is out chillin with her peeps :) I put her in an old dog crate in the chick pen, she spilled her food and now they're all eating like its the best thing they've ever had! The wound is not showing any sign of closing up, but doesn't seem to bother her at all. She's got a long way to go, but with a little luck she will be able to join her flock mates some day. Until then I guess we've got a house chicken.

Great news! You'll be suprised how fast they heal. I've heard people recommend products like vetericyne gel to discourage pecking from others. Perhaps once it is healed up enough you could look into that as an option.

update, things were going along well until this morning, she is going lame on the leg on the same side as the wound. The wound was very close to her thigh and I'm afraid there may be infection in it. She isn't eating well and just lays and peeps. When I picked her up to check her wound, her struggles seemed weaker. She is still on antibiotics, but I don't know..... The change seems so sudden, yesterday she seemed fine.

update well its been a week since the injury, the lameness is gone, and she is getting rather spoiled and bossy. We have started what I call P.T. We go outside on the grass to walk around for a while. The wound is starting to close up finally, and it looks like she is going to be fine. I'm thinking of bandaging her up and letting her in with her brothers and sister for a little supervised playtime. I have 1 hen that is very gentle and mellow and has taken an interest in the chicks, so I think I'll let her join us.
Thank you to everyone for your advice and support, there were times when I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing, but now I feel more confident about treating injuries. I've had chickens for 2 years now, and this is the first time any of them have been hurt.

Back
Top Bottom