Help sexing / or something? golden lace Wyandotte?

SamHillandherChicks

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2023
Hi, my gl is getting some strange feathers in. She’s still young and it’s fall so feathers are strange right now. It’s mainly her tail and wings that are making me question if it’s a gender Mixup or if maybe she’s hurt/molting. Thank you!

Attachments

• DB479557-3F6E-4B68-B912-F23A36A1FB52.jpeg
    DB479557-3F6E-4B68-B912-F23A36A1FB52.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 0FF482EC-2A4E-4136-8300-A9CB6DE3A319.jpeg
    0FF482EC-2A4E-4136-8300-A9CB6DE3A319.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 507BC9EB-F8C0-43D0-8A48-69698E2CBC38.jpeg
    507BC9EB-F8C0-43D0-8A48-69698E2CBC38.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
I’m sorry to not be exact. We got them in the end of July. Definitely still young. It’s only her tail and wings looking off.
I'd say it's a normal molt for the age, nothing looks like a Cockerel today so I'm confident you have a Pullet, she'll be beautiful. Our SLW's matured pretty quick too, kind of odd for several weeks between 8-12 weeks.

Your Golden-Laced Wyandotte looks nothing like a cockerel as of now, so I would say she is only going through the mini-molt (mentioning above) of new feathering in development. And don't let that sickle-like tail feather fool you, pullets have that when they are in the "teenage stage" of six weeks and developing the new feathers; it appears to be a sickle, but females will never develop those and sickles are very pointed and thin, not almost rounded and broad.

They'll go through several mini molts on the way to maturity.. they look funky but are not an indicator of gender.. that first clue usually comes in comb and waddle development.

Cute flock! :love

All still look like pullets to me.. What's their age?
They are about 12-14 weeks I think? I don’t know their exact age when I got them. Thank you for saying they’re cute! They’re funny little ladies for sure. I didn’t think any were boys, but I figured I would check as she is my only GLW and she is the only one looking different in the last week.

Your Golden-Laced Wyandotte looks nothing like a cockerel as of now, so I would say she is only going through the mini-molt (mentioning above) of new feathering in development. And don't let that sickle-like tail feather fool you, pullets have that when they are in the "teenage stage" of six weeks and developing the new feathers; it appears to be a sickle, but females will never develop those and sickles are very pointed and thin, not almost rounded and broad.
That is exactly what is confusing me! She is my only GLW and the only one molting in any way right now. None of the other pullets have the long tail feather so I figured I would check. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom