Help! Sick chick

mdzw

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Beach Lake, PA

Help! Cecelia is breaking my heart! Sick chick. She was 2 weeks old on Tuesday. She is one of three. Other 2 are fine, she was fine yesterday & I noticed she looked funny last night. Standing funny with head sort of down & back with eyes closed. Very lethargic. Gave her some fluids with a syringe (electrolytes/probiotics water with some honey in it.) made it through the night. She is not eating, drinking or pooping. Think maybe she has a blockage. No respiratory symptoms. Giving her water with electoytes, probiotics , & honey in it again with syringe today. Tried giving her yogurt. Not taking much. Will drink the fluid from a syringe. Making her a hard boiled egg yolk to see if I can get her to eat. Crop doesn't seem full, no smell. Vent is clean & not blocked. She doesn't like being separated from her sisters unless she is with me. Been keeping her warm close to my chest, like a mother hen, which she seems to like. I read krill oil could help with a blockage, I have some of that, thinking of mixing it in with the yolk. Any other ideas?

Best never to force feed or water a chick that is not feeling well. It is unlikely that anything put in the crop will move along into the stomach or gizzard, and can backup and be inhaled into the lungs BAD THING!!!. Can you feel anything in the crop? It will eat and drink when it can! Keep it warm. So sad, but to "doctor" without knowing what you are doctoring for, is usually harmful.

With head down, a dip of the beak into water (with honey is okay)--IF the chick responds on its own to swallow, is optomistic! Otherwise, sad, but difficult to treat without correct diagnosis. Always so sorry for any sick baby--- Best of luck,

Back
Top Bottom