Help sick chicken!!

henmom12

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
I am new to raising chicks. Got my girls when they were 3 days old on 4/1/11. They have been so much fun and good layers and no problems till now. One of my barred rocks has stopped eating and drinking. She just sits in the coop and doesn't come into the pen. The only thing that I know has happened to her is she got her leg caught in the chicken wire that's under the roost. Does anyone have any ideas?

After reading some of the posts, I'm worried that it might be her crop. How do you get the food out?

I'm dealing with a sour crop for the first time now too. I am certainly not an expert but this is what I know. To get the crop to empty hold her under your arm like a football. Tip her forward making sure to keep her mouth toward the ground. You can massage the crop while you do this to try to encourage her to empty. Only keep her in this position for 10 seconds at a time so that she can breathe.
I am syringe feeding my girl yogurt or whey 4 times a day. I am also trying monistat twice a day after reading another thread about someone having success with it.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom