Help sick hen

kcchew17

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
My golden laced polish gen has clear/ green/ white watery diarrhea. ( I'm keeping her back end clean but it's a mess) she's depressed with droopy wings and not moving much, hasn't payed an egg all week ( normally produces 3 per week) and her appetite is decreased. I know very little about chickens as I've only had them 2 months any advice is appreciated.

We need more details to help. Any changes lately (feed, weather), how are tou keeping them, where did tou get them from, how old is the hen, what if anything have you tried?
Cocci is a possibility - you can get Corid at the feed store to treat her - search this site for correct dosage (give her the severe outbreak dose). Do it today, the treatment is not hard on the hen and if that is what she is suffering from it can cure her, if not, it does not harm her.
Anyway, maybe you can tell us a bit more so we can help more.
Also, give her either nutri drench or save-a-chick or similar vitamin electrolyte mix, it will help whatever she is fighting. See if she will eat a few raisins, they will give her a boost if she is not eating much.

My golden laced polish gen has clear/ green/ white watery diarrhea. ( I'm keeping her back end clean but it's a mess) she's depressed with droopy wings and not moving much, hasn't payed an egg all week ( normally produces 3 per week) and her appetite is decreased. I know very little about chickens as I've only had them 2 months any advice is appreciated.
Welcome to BYC! Is taking her to a vet an option?

IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
I also just discovered that 1 of my roosters is sick he was fine yesterday, but today I found him perched on his coop's fence with his head hanging down. He seems to have a hard time holding it up. I also observed that his 1 eye does not seem to have a pupil. I am going to download pics if anybody experienced this please let me know. I would greatly appreciate the insight, as I have had a backyard flock for 5 years and never encountered an issue like this. He is approximately 1 years old.

View attachment 548798 View attachment 548797 I also just discovered that 1 of my roosters is sick he was fine yesterday, but today I found him perched on his coop's fence with his head hanging down. He seems to have a hard time holding it up. I also observed that his 1 eye does not seem to have a pupil. I am going to download pics if anybody experienced this please let me know. I would greatly appreciate the insight, as I have had a backyard flock for 5 years and never encountered an issue like this. He is approximately 1 years old.
It looks like he's been fighting. Can you take him to a vet?

View attachment 548798 View attachment 548797 I also just discovered that 1 of my roosters is sick he was fine yesterday, but today I found him perched on his coop's fence with his head hanging down. He seems to have a hard time holding it up. I also observed that his 1 eye does not seem to have a pupil. I am going to download pics if anybody experienced this please let me know. I would greatly appreciate the insight, as I have had a backyard flock for 5 years and never encountered an issue like this. He is approximately 1 years old.

If you can't take him to the vet...
I'd clean him up a bit and give him polyvisol without iron ... immediately...
I'd confine him to a small area, with a towel or blanket and let him rest... dim lighting.
I'd also check to see if he's drinking and if not, slowly dropper feed him water, on at the
front of the beak... (dont stick it way back in the mouth, it might go in lungs instead)
Do you have any nutra drench... thats great to add to water...
Check for blood or broken bones if it seems he's been in a fight....
Wishing you the best......hope the rooster gets better quick..!

Really, I have not seen him fighting I have 5 and they were all raised together, as chicks. They interact fine all day, but I will contact my vet to see if he can suggest a vet who provides poultry care. Thank you for your assistance.

If you can't take him to the vet...
I'd clean him up a bit and give him polyvisol without iron ... immediately...
I'd confine him to a small area, with a towel or blanket and let him rest... dim lighting.
I'd also check to see if he's drinking and if not, slowly dropper feed him water, on at the
front of the beak... (dont stick it way back in the mouth, it might go in lungs instead)
Do you have any nutra drench... thats great to add to water...
Check for blood or broken bones if it seems he's been in a fight....
Wishing you the best......hope the rooster gets better quick..!
Thank you I have isolated him in a large dog kennel he has no noticeable injuries I checked him over throughly just his eyes don't look right to me. I have given him water with electrolytes from a syringe because he will not drink or eat for me not even his meal worms. I will definitely pick up polyvisol and give it a try. Thank you for your input!

Yes taking her to a vet is an option but the only vet I can get to see my chicken within an hour of my house isn't in today and I'm out of town till next thurday.
I'm in Northern California weathers been between 50-85 degrees outside, she's in a clean covered run with a fenced yard open to her during the day. I got her from a farm 2 months ago, she was healthy then.
She's being fed costcos organic chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom