Help - Small chick question

Noxx

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2023
Hello,

I live in Mississippi and yesterday I found one of my baby chick breathing heavily. I had the heat lamp on (90F) during the night, off during the day since it seems their sweet spot is around 83F.
Chicks are 14 days old RIR pullet.

I separated the baby check and made sure she drunk and eat. I turned off heat during the night because the room is around 83 F.

Baby chick was perching this morning and crying to get back to her flock so I put her back. But some of the others not let her eat. :(

If I separate her she chirps like want to go back. Should I separate her with other chick so she isn’t lonely?

Baby chicks eat Purina chick starter unmedicated because they had Coccidiosis vaccine and drink water with Quik chick. They had red light on.

Please help me! Thanks

Is she in a large brooder? How many chicks are there? It sounds like they don’t need heat at all since a 2 week old chick should be able to tolerate 80 degrees or even lower. Check her for any pasty butt. I would try to leave her with the others, but check often, so they are not keeping her from food. Maybe put a small bit of food and water in 2 spots.

Even in my totes that I use as brooder boxes the first weeks, I sometime have to put feed in opposite corners - so the most dominant birds can't control all access, and so they don't look at one another while eating. Same thing when I integrate the 3 week old batch with the 6-8 week old batch.

Is she in a large brooder? How many chicks are there? It sounds like they don’t need heat at all since a 2 week old chick should be able to tolerate 80 degrees or even lower. Check her for any pasty butt. I would try to leave her with the others, but check often, so they are not keeping her from food. Maybe put a small bit of food and water in 2 spots.
Brooder is 20 inches wide and 44 inches long. 7 chicks. No pastry butt. Put food and water in 2 spots. Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom