Help !! Smelly chicken wound!!

Thank
Yes, I would continue the antibiotic. If you have bad smell, it's needed.
The most common dose of enrofloxacin is 10mg/kg (I've seen it as high as 15mg/kg in a few places), twice a day. Since your medication is a 20% solution, that should be 200mg/ml. So if your bird is 6 lbs, that would be .14 ml twice a day (for 10mg/kg dose), orally. Depending on the size of your 'drop' you may be close to that, but need to do it every 12 hours.
This thread has the math and dosing info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/℞-calculating-medication-doses-under-construction-℞.1241252/#post-19918579
Thank you
I'll continue the antibiotic for the next 3-5 day .
And let's see

The skin that is not intact with the body will it heal on it's own or will it need any surgical removal
IMG_20220910_171600.jpg

Last edited:
If there is blood supply to it then it can heal. I cannot tell from the pictures if that's the case. Also depends on how much damage is done by infection and if tissue dies off. If it dies it will turn black. I would keep it clean, covered in ointment, and continue the antibiotics, and observe. Let the medication have a bit of time to work. Even very severe wounds can heal, but the infection is what needs to be dealt with first.

If there is blood supply to it then it can heal. I cannot tell from the pictures if that's the case. Also depends on how much damage is done by infection and if tissue dies off. If it dies it will turn black. I would keep it clean, covered in ointment, and continue the antibiotics, and observe. Let the medication have a bit of time to work. Even very severe wounds can heal, but the infection is what needs to be dealt with first.
I agree.

Hard to see well just from a picture. Gently flushing the wound with chlorhexidene and water or saline can be helpful to treating infection and promote healing. Place towels around her, so you don’t get her all wet and cold all over. Where skin is not covering the wound, it will take some time for the wound to granulate in. I wish you luck in treating your chicken.

Hard to see well just from a picture. Gently flushing the wound with chlorhexidene and water or saline can be helpful to treating infection and promote healing. Place towels around her, so you don’t get her all wet and cold all over. Where skin is not covering the wound, it will take some time for the wound to granulate in. I wish you luck in treating your chicken.
I'll click a better picture of it tomorrow.
And thankyou ♥️
The part seem to be somewhat black and the inside part was like you left the chicken meat in open for 2-3 days..

Back
Top Bottom