Help: Sumatra limping?Dislocated lower eg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuburbSpurs, Sep 25, 2013.

1. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3-month-old sumatra began limping a few days ago, She puts no weight on her leg and just kid of lays it on the ground or holds it so only the toes brish the ground. Irt ssems liked the lower part of her leg is pushed slightly outward from the hock joint. How can I fix this?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

You must try to post a pic, hard to say if we can not see, it can be a little thorn that starts to fester

3. SuburbSpurs

Okay well I took a pic but the problem is its not visible you can only feel the lump.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note that the blood spot was my mother poking at it with a sewing needle to see if it was a blister. It was not like that before.

4. SuburbSpurs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is how she sits.

5. SuburbSpurs

This is the tibia, see how its pushed out from the hock joint. How do I splint this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SuburbSpurs

She is getting worse, she shrieks when trying to move. And now just lays around, she keeps trying to move.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Give her aspirin for pain/swelling,baby 81 mg aspirin or a reg 325 mg aspirin,dose is 25 mg per lb of body weight. Crush and place in water. Did you splint leg?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  8. SuburbSpurs

I can't find a break, and it cries when I try to splint it.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    She may have a slipped achilles tendon,i know it is painful but it has to be put back into place. Try www.poultrypedia.com
    there is information about slipped tendons.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  10. SuburbSpurs

She has stopped eating, and I can't find the tendon that might be misplaced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by