help, temp drop day 20!

BUG126

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
WA State
Yesterday was day 20, when I got home I could hearing the chicks peeping. Its been super hot hear the past week, but lastnight it cooled off quite a bit, the temp dropped in the bator overnight to 97.8. I couldnt hear any peeping this morning & there are no pips yet. I am afraid I killed all my daughter's eggs.
sad.png

Don't give up hope. It is much better that the temperature drops than raises. Under natural conditions a hen will get off the eggs from time to time to eat and drink at which time the temp of the eggs drop until she gets back on them. A couple of hatches ago, the power went out in the middle of the night and our bator dropped to 83 degrees. All the chicks hatched normally but were just a day or two late.

It is also recommended when you use a seperate hatcher to lower the temp .5 to 1 degree. Don't dispair, maybe they are napping. It takes alot of work to make that first pip.

Quote:
97.8 is more than OK your chicks will be fine, they are probably resting. I have had mine drop all the way to 82 in a power outage and STILL hatch most of the chicks when the time came. They did hatch a day late but hatch they did.

Thank you everyone! I have been sitting at work this morning feeling so guilty. Hopefully by the time I get home I can see some progress.

Back
Top Bottom