Help, the fleas are carrying my house down the street......

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Ok. Two days ago nothing, now covered head to toe. I washed the dogs and they sounded the alarm to attack or something. What is DE? I see everyone using it. I have kept the house so so, but after going out to check the chickens, rabbits, duck, I am covered and try to vacc. them up.. I have put salt and borax down for help. Hiring a pest company more than likely to kill them ALLLLLLLLLL....... Can I do the same with DE? Can I put DE in the house????

Also, the dogs were bad and I feel bad not knowing it until the last sec. I am trying to get their iron back up as they have white gums now. They are currently in the house after several baths!!!

Tks

make sure that you're emptying your vacuum bag or canister if bagless after every use because they will get out of there. A few years ago we bought these raid things that you plug in and they glow to attract the fleas, they had sticky pads to trap them but haven't seen those in a long time.

The flea life cycle is a very short one. You can interrupt it inside your house by vacuuming every third day or so and washing pet bedding on the same cycle. Cover your furniture with sheets or blankets and use the same washing principle, as well. If you don't want to use something like Frontline or Advantage (I don't), you will want to bath your dogs weekly, at least to start. My dogs are primarily indoor dogs, but by doing all of these things I have not seen a flea in about 5 year--even when I lived in an apartment with wall-to-wall carpeting in all rooms but the kitchen and bath.

By breaking the flea life cycle, you can get your flea problem under control pretty quickly. If you can't get DE, try vacuuming your carpets with borax powder. Good luck!

It sounds like you are really infested. Maybe you had a bunch of flea eggs hatch out at the same time.
At this point you might just need a professional come in. You can try closing up your house and flea bombing it, then repeat in so many weeks. I can't remember off the top of my head how long.
It is a three part cycle to get them all gone. Dog, house, yard all need to be treated.
I haven't seen this mentioned on here, but I treat my dogs monthly for heartworms using ivermect 1% injectable...given orally. Since I started doing this I haven't seen fleas at all. I have been using it for heartworms for about 4 years now. This shouldn't be used if you have collies.
Also, when you vaccuum make sure to get the cracks near the floor vaccuumed up. And any areas the dogs walk through regularly. Like all around the baseboards where the dogs come in and out. Where the dogs sleep and where they eat.
Good Luck, I feel bad for you...flea infestation is miserable...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom