Help, the nicest neighbors in the world are feeding my chickens...

LMAO I'm the type of person that if my neighbors suggested that I run the chickens home every evening.. I'd be like "Sure! Where do you want them?"
wink.png
LOL A little work for the pay-off of enjoying chickens is fine by me. Wish my neighbors had chickens... then I could have chickens here instead of 5 miles away at my FIL's
tongue.png

About 15 years ago we had a very nice couple move in and they were from NY, country life was all new to them. They started feeding our cattle apples that came from one of the trees in their yard. I had to stop them and explained that if you start feeding one then here comes 2 then 4 and so on, they will over take you and may even tear down the fence. They were feeding them through the fence. I told them if they wanted to feed them get a bucket and go out in the field and throw or scatter them around so you wont have 50 cows wanting 6 apples. They tried it a few times, and just as I told them here was a whole herd wanting apples! LOL They gave it up. They were truly great neighbors. Well they have moved over to the lake. The new people that live there now are good too.
old.gif

Quote:
I still don't understand why you think you have the right to tell your neighbors that they can or can not do anything ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

I know you don't want to hear it, but it really is true -- if you want to control what happens to your chickens, then you need to keep them ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY. Heck, those neighbors could legally make STEW out of your chickens if they felt like it.

Quote:
I still don't understand why you think you have the right to tell your neighbors that they can or can not do anything ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

I know you don't want to hear it, but it really is true -- if you want to control what happens to your chickens, then you need to keep them ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY. Heck, those neighbors could legally make STEW out of your chickens if they felt like it.

You know I "don't want to hear it". May I ask how you know this? Hell, even my dh can't read my mind and he comes pretty darn close. I asked them if they wanted the chickens on their property and they asked me to please let them roam their garden. I did not make that up? Why would I?
I don't understand why you're so agitated by this? They are not on your property or I would take a different approach, trust me. I spoke with my neighbors and they are fine with not feeding the ladies past lunch as afew of you suggested. It's just the kind of neighbors we are. We can *talk* to each other. Geez.. Is that so hard to believe? AND if they did not want the chickens there, they would have told me when I asked and I would have moved to plan B. For now, we're all happy letting the ladies roam about. Maybe it's a novelty for our little cul de sac.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know because you specifically said "no fences" in an earlier post. No mind reading necessary.
smile.png

I asked them if they wanted the chickens on their property and they asked me to please let them roam their garden. I did not make that up? Why would I?

I didn't say you made anything up. What I said was that the only way to have control over what happens to your chickens is to put up a fence.

It doesn't matter whether the neighbors said they like the birds, or not. Your original post asked for advice about how to get your chickens home at night. As I and others have said, the responsible way to do this is to keep the birds on your own property.

I don't understand why you're so agitated by this?

Well, I don't understand why you think I'm agitated. So I guess we're even on that score.
wink.png

For now, we're all happy letting the ladies roam about. Maybe it's a novelty for our little cul de sac.

Good luck with your birds. I hope they don't end up paying the price for your little "novelty".​

Well I am glad you worked it out with your neighbor.
love.gif
It's nice you can spread the joy of watching chickens. It's a good thing we have BYC to get feed back on our questions!

Quote:
Where did the original poster ask for a lesson in responsibility or property rights?

This started out as a delightful post and quite a "twist" from the normal "neighbor"
post. It was fun while it lasted.

Best of luck with the chat with your neighbor chicamama. Don't let overly opinionated
members affect you.

If any mods come across this CLOSE this post immediately, Amazondoc is being aggressive. And its not the first time Amazondoc has been aggressive, its going to cause problems IMO.

Last edited:
Quote:
For everyone.

There is a little thing down at the bottom of the post that says report. You don't have to put your suggestion to the mods in a post.

For dacjohns. Maybe you should have PM cmcgoun. Nope, don't think so. Maybe more folks need to know about the report button.

Quote:
If you hit the report button they will find it if thats what you would like, but I don't know if thats what the OP wants.
big_smile.png

In my opinion if someone is getting agitated or just a Smart A then it then it probably is best if they left the thread alone. the way I saw it the OP was being attacked and there is no reason for it.
sad.png

It's a nice thread, lets keep it that way.
pop.gif

edited to add it.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom