Help!!! Trouble hatching duckling

mothergoose2015

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2021
Please help ASAP! I have a duckling who externally pipped yesterday about 38 hours ago and it is peeping and moving around but now it’s feet are through the hole and it’s bill is directly next to it. I’m worried because it hasn’t made any progress in hours and the membrane looks dry. Again, it’s still peeping and trying but looks like it’s struggling. What should I do?!
010A5ABA-CA7D-4B66-AC69-5321FB765B1A.jpeg
84A7BF8C-1489-4753-B4BA-93613AFC7391.jpeg

Last edited:
If you follow Pyxis's advice in the assisted hatching article and go very slowly and cautiously, it should minimize the chance of injury.

I incubate a lot of waterfowl (ducks and geese) and if this were my egg, I'd be taking a cautious look now to confirm the duckling isn't malpositioned. Being unable to make more progress than it has during that time period suggests to me that help may be needed.

Best of luck!

If you follow Pyxis's advice in the assisted hatching article and go very slowly and cautiously, it should minimize the chance of injury.

I incubate a lot of waterfowl (ducks and geese) and if this were my egg, I'd be taking a cautious look now to confirm the duckling isn't malpositioned. Being unable to make more progress than it has during that time period suggests to me that help may be needed.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much! Do you think it’s safe to wait the full 48 hours since the external pip before I intervene? I know it’s stuck but I want to ensure the yolk is fully absorbed. It’s still peeping and carrying on.

It's ultimately your call on when to intervene, but I'd personally err on the side of caution and at least take the egg out to examine it. Peeping and moving are good signs, but has it been able to move its position within the shell?

You may get a better idea of what's going on if you can see it up close: if you see active veins or yawning, you'll know assisting is premature. Maybe the membrane just looks dry but is fine. A close look will help inform your next move.

I applaud your cautious approach and concern about the status of yolk absorption. Remember, though, that just because you take tiny steps like gently pushing a bit of membane away from the bill or slightly widening the pip hole to assess positioning doesn't commit you to a full assist. 🙂 You can always stop, put the egg back in the incubator, and let the duckling continue to work. Handling the egg may prompt the duckling to begin pushing again, and that should show you whether it looks like it has the leverage to get out or not.

Pete55's waterfowl incubation guide also has helpful info. about assisting, and describes steps like freeing the head and neck (if blood vessels have dried up) but leaving the hatchling in the bottom part of the shell to absorb yolk, if needed, and kick out when ready. I use this technique, successfully, myself. There are photos near the end of post #1 in his thread.

Hang in there! This part can be nervewracking.

It's ultimately your call on when to intervene, but I'd personally err on the side of caution and at least take the egg out to examine it. Peeping and moving are good signs, but has it been able to move its position within the shell?

You may get a better idea of what's going on if you can see it up close: if you see active veins or yawning, you'll know assisting is premature. Maybe the membrane just looks dry but is fine. A close look will help inform your next move.

I applaud your cautious approach and concern about the status of yolk absorption. Remember, though, that just because you take tiny steps like gently pushing a bit of membane away from the bill or slightly widening the pip hole to assess positioning doesn't commit you to a full assist. 🙂 You can always stop, put the egg back in the incubator, and let the duckling continue to work. Handling the egg may prompt the duckling to begin pushing again, and that should show you whether it looks like it has the leverage to get out or not.

Pete55's waterfowl incubation guide also has helpful info. about assisting, and describes steps like freeing the head and neck (if blood vessels have dried up) but leaving the hatchling in the bottom part of the shell to absorb yolk, if needed, and kick out when ready. I use this technique, successfully, myself. There are photos near the end of post #1 in his thread.

Hang in there! This part can be nervewracking.
Great advice!

Update: Bernadette aka Bernie did well with some assistance from me! Yolk was absorbed and blood vessels dried up so it was definitely time for some help. Thank you all for being so encouraging! This is my first time using this forum and it was great to have support.View attachment 2792862
I'm so glad she made it out!! :highfive: Good call.

Back
Top Bottom