HELP! TURKEY EGG FOAMING AROUND PIP!

-Shade-

This Is An Illusion
Mar 27, 2021
Ardonia
I have 3 turkey eggs that are in lockdown right now. 2 are pipped and one started to zip a little. It has been a while since they pipped and I was checking on them through the clear sides of the incubator when I noticed yellow foam bubbling out of the one that started to zip. Panicked, I took the egg out of the incubator and tried dabbing it gently with a paper towel to soak up the foam. The chick was cheeping at me and wriggling, but it also looked like it was gasping a little. I dabbed the paper towel around the nostrils to make sure there wasn't any in them and drained a bunch of the strange liquid out as I could. I have never seen this on a hatching egg before. Earlier today I noticed that the humidity was too low and the membranes were starting to dry, so I slightly mist the eggs to make sure they could be remoistened. WHAT HAPPENED?

NOW THERE IS A SECOND ONE! The yellow stuff had crusted around the beak and pip and I am afraid it won't make it.

I've only hatched a few eggs now, but it sounds like the humidity may have been too high. Like the air sac had too much liquid in it or something

I am so worried. I am up at least 2 hours past bedtime and I am tired as heck, but I can't bring myself to leave these 2.

If you haven’t already, I would “assist” them a bit and open up more of the egg where the air cell and pip hole are. Be careful not to do too much more than the air cell area but that may give you a better idea if they need to be fully assisted or just needed some extra air and space to hatch. So sorry you are having to stress about it! ❤️😢 if you need more info on assist hatching there is a great article in the incubation articles on it!

I have had to assist one turkey poult a long time ago. His name is Lewis and he is still happy and healthy and is actually our dominant tom. But I have never seen this weird foam before. It crusts just slower than super glue and I am afraid they will drown in it. I opened up a little bit of space around their beats and dried them off as best I could. One of them keeps creeping really loud and but the one that had it crusted around its beak seems pretty quiet, and it isn't moving as much. Although the one that is not as active hasn't been pipped as long.

I have had to assist one turkey poult a long time ago. His name is Lewis and he is still happy and healthy and is actually our dominant tom. But I have never seen this weird foam before. It crusts just slower than super glue and I am afraid they will drown in it. I opened up a little bit of space around their beats and dried them off as best I could. One of them keeps creeping really loud and but the one that had it crusted around its beak seems pretty quiet, and it isn't moving as much. Although the one that is not as active hasn't been pipped as long.
Yeah I have had some weird things happen with incubated eggs. I had one I got super panicked about and I opened up a lot of the egg…only to realize it was far from done absorbing things so I left it with the shell attached and let it do it’s thing and it managed to live. They are resilient little things sometimes and oh so fragile other times!

They surprise me often. But I worry because turkeys have a lower hatching rate. I am afraid they won't be strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom