help turkey laying soft eggs?

nightshade

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Jonestown Pa , Columbia County
Our hen just started laying this week and every egg has been soft enough that it either breaks when it hits the ground. Or when you try to pick it up your fingers go through it. She has access to oyster shell and I guess I am not sure what else I should be doing to fix this.

Quote:
Is this an older hen? I had a Black Spanish hen that was 4 or 5 years old and she would lay a couple of soft eggs when she started laying in the spring but after a couple they would be fine. I only had about a 50% fertility rate off her eggs though. I finally got rid of her this spring and replaced her with young hens.

Struttn1 Have you wormed recently?? if not may want to..
After worming we always give this to any of our birds to get the gut back on track Vita-Pro-B Concentrate and or Plain yogart..both work well..

We feed game bird layer during the layer season, oyster shell and grit as extras weekly..

~Wilds~

Yeah we keep them wormed. She is the only bird I had a problem with and her previous owner told me she did it once when she had her. The 1st time she laid a soft egg for me it did not have a shell at all. Only the leathery membrane. Her 3rd egg on would be perfectly normal.

Back
Top Bottom