Help!! Very Weak Day Old Chick with Foot Problem- Curled Toes? Overhandling?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyLeghorn, Nov 20, 2012.

1. LilyLeghorn

LilyLeghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    California
    Help! My chick (1 day old) keeps falling over. He can't get up and he just lays on his stomach or slouched over. He keeps trying to get up, but flips to the side and flails around. Nothing wrong with his legs- I think it's his right foot, it seems like curled toes. I looked online to see how to fix this, and it said to make a chick sandal. I was going to wait a few days before doing it, but he's the smallest and weakest (and rarely opens his eyes) so he gets picked on a lot- he's getting weaker.
    I tried making a chick sandal for him, but it didn't work! I have no sports tape and his feet are too soft/too small! They slip out of everything, and if they don't, he flails until it falls off...
    I spent almost a half hour trying to help him, but nothing worked! The chick sandal won't stay, he keeps curling up his right foot, where the center toe seems bent (it's been that way since he hatched).
    I feel so useless, and I don't know if I did the right thing. I've never been through this before, and now I feel like I over-handled him even though I was really careful the whole time. I'm so worried! What should I do now? He doesn't seem worse after I attempted to help him, but he's still as weak as he was before, with his legs shaking and eyes closed.

2. LilyLeghorn

LilyLeghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    California
    Also- he might be a serama. His egg was very tiny, in between a bantam and quail egg size, and right now, he's still lying sprawled out... All the other chicks are so healthy, so it makes him seem really helpless :'(

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

First...separate him to his own area so he doesn't get trampled. If you have poultry vitamins mix some and put into a.shallow bottle cap. Dip his beak in the cap. If you don't have vitamins use gator aid or sugar water. Can you post a pick of his feet..... Can he stand up on his own? Often small legged breeds can have leg troubles when hatched...if just his foot curled you can take duct tape..put his foot on a cardboard shoe and tape it..making sure to press bwtqwen each toe...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by