Help!!!!! What happens if chick doesn't absorb yolk sac?

Smitty's Farm

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 24, 2007
St Clair County, Il
Please help! I have a little BO chick that hatched in the wee hrs this morning with what appears to be rough navel and it doesn't seem to be absorbing the yolk sac.

Is there anything that I can do or should I just leave it alone? I posted in the emergency sec, but couldn't tell at the time if it was coming from it's navel or vent.

Thanks,
Kim

Last edited:
Leave it alone in the bator for afew hours...the vent is the only opening on a chick/chicken...it should absorb it on its own if left alone...

Last edited:
It is a scary thing to see.
Someone made a 'diaper' for their chick out of bandages to keep the yolk close and clean so it cuold be absorbed. I'll see if I can find that thread...

Oh boy, I wonder if this little one is going to make it.

Tuffoldhen, I picked it up to take a better look and it doesn't appear to be coming from the vent, so I'm baffled. I tried to take a pic, but it didn't turn out well. I had taken it out of the bator and put it in a warm brooder.

So do you think I should put it back in the bator? Any advice will be appreciated. This does not look normal.

Has many chicks survived this? Poor little one.

Thanks for the help!

I had two ducklings hatch last weekend that had the yoke still attached - all I did was keep the yoke moist so it did not dry and stick to anything and left them alone and in a couple of days the yoke was gone and they are both up and running around - so I would just keep an eye on him and keep it moist and hope for the best

godd luck

Julie

I would leave it in the brooder and keep it at 95* and give it a couple of days, the incubator might cook the poor little thing, it does happen to chicks and it could be better after a day or so

Thank you Lori soooooo much! I did a search when it hatched and couldn't find a thing. I just did another search, but worded it differently and found a few more threads.

I wonder what will happen if it doesn't absorb?

I'm going to go see what I can do for the poor thing. It was drying, so it might be to late.

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Thanks Tiki! I left it in the incubator after it hatched, but it's been in the brooder since early this morning b/c I was worried about that very thing. I didn't want the poor thing to turn into a chickie cabob. I was worried b/c the bator temp was higher this morning. Then I was worried b/c I didn't know if I did the right thing by taken him out of the bator to put in the brooder.

I'm just a little delirious right now with running on about 3 hrs sleep.

Back
Top Bottom