Help! Whole flock killed!

What is yor location?could be a coyote I have Pyrenees .my dogs will chase a hawk for as long as they can see it.I really think they have above avreage eye site.They will see coyote a half mile away and go after it . And let the chickens eat out of thier bowl. They sleep with the goats .One dog that is old and mixed bred .Anatolian/,Pyrenees bas made a pyrenees lover out of me .If a chicken swaks or a goat cries they check it out.Amazing dogs .

Last edited:
Thank you for all your advice. I'm currently trying to talk the hubby into Great Pyrenees my neighbor just had puppies. I am hoping to get more chicks soon, so I will have to look into those. We had mostly Easter eggers and barred rocks.
Consider some E fencing, maybe.

Or make sure your pup stays with the flock as it won't do any good in the house. And as stated does come with challenges of its' own.

ETA: EE and BR are some of my fave! :love

I am so sorry for your loss. A weasel took out all but one of my hens so I know exactly how you feel.

Domestic dogs like to play with their prey and coyotes and foxes would have taken as many of the bodies as they could with them.

Given your poor girls were eaten starting at the vent, I think your predator was a rodent, like a weasel or mink, or a bird, maybe a Hawk. The weasel that killed my girls ate a few bites out of one in her neck/base of the skull, and left the rest untouched.

Im sorry for your loss. It hasnt been too long back something wiped all of mine out.I know the feeling of shock coming home and seeing that. If you have a trap you could use one of the carcasses for bait or a camera ? It more then likely will be back. Strong coop and runs is what I thought I had.Mine didnt free range so dont feel bad. stuff happens. :hugs The guineas got away because they can fly.

To the OP, back to your original question.......whodunit?

What is your location? At least in general.....state, region, country, etc. Knowing that helps eliminate some predators.

Wiped out your flock? How many was that? Makes a difference if it's 2 or 20.

How many were eaten or partially eaten and how many left dead? Left strewn around or piled up? Any simply missing and can't be found?

How were they killed? Bites to the back of the neck.......or large bites as from a dog? Heads missing?

With information provided to date, any talk of dogs (or most anything else) as the solution to your problem is a bit premature.

:goodpost: @Howard E. More info helpful.

sorry for your loss of most of your flock! :hugs

Depending on your flock goals, will determine your new flock choices. Color of eggs, heritage vs production type, space to free range, option of any sort of e-fence, etc. if you want to fully free range, than I’d recommend some breeds that are known to be suited for free ranging, assuming there is cover or trees for the birds to get into. If you want a variety mixed flock, some of which may not be able to escape a predator very well, then plan for replacements on a regular basis, so an incubator or broody breed may be a good choice.

To the OP, back to your original question.......whodunit?

What is your location? At least in general.....state, region, country, etc. Knowing that helps eliminate some predators.

Wiped out your flock? How many was that? Makes a difference if it's 2 or 20.

How many were eaten or partially eaten and how many left dead? Left strewn around or piled up? Any simply missing and can't be found?

How were they killed? Bites to the back of the neck.......or large bites as from a dog? Heads missing?

With information provided to date, any talk of dogs (or most anything else) as the solution to your problem is a bit premature.

We live in South Carolina. 5 of the 6 of my chickens were killed. One is completely missing. Two had their back half of their bodies eaten right next to out porch steps, but no other injurys. The other two were about 10 feet from the coop. The two closest to the coop had their butts started to be eaten but no other signs of injury.

I have a Pyr / Swissy mix (my avatar) - like @BYC910 , He'll follow hawks and owls away from the flock. I don't usually let them range unless he's out with them. He does the same with planes and helicopters, and over the past 2 weeks - it's been coyotes he's had to run down. He was 7 when we started with chicks - and his guarding behavior was instinctive. To the point that he'd lay down to sleep next to the brooder.

If you get a pup - see if you can get a pick or the litter. Depending on the age of the pups, bring the pups near your remaining chicken and guineas, and watch for behavior. Does he fixate, seem coiled and ready to charge, or actually chase? What you are looking for is prey drive. You want the pup that has the lowest prey drive - the one that's watching you, rather than the birds. Then you need to get the pup to bond with the chicks - with you supervising - get him as much time as possible with them. it requires time, patience and training, but it starts with picking the right pup.

Good luck and sorry for your losses.

Back
Top Bottom