Help with baby chick's foot *pics*

<3ChickenForever

Fire Is Catching
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
WI
I was feeding the chicks and came across one that had like poop around its foot and at the end it was black. So I went and washed off the dried poop with warm water and this is what it looks like underneath. What should I do?

I was feeding the chicks and came across one that had like poop around its foot and at the end it was black. So I went and washed off the dried poop with warm water and this is what it looks like underneath. What should I do?

looks to me like that toe lost circulation and will probably drop off. I really don't think you can save it. Its kind of like when you band the testicles of a bull or a billy goat...they dry up and fall off from lack of blood to feed the tissue. I would leave it as, and keep her coop area clean so infection does not set in.(I don't think that should be a worry) Only worry if it gets really warm and red or moves into the rest of the toe/foot.

looks to me like that toe lost circulation and will probably drop off. I really don't think you can save it. Its kind of like when you band the testicles of a bull or a billy goat...they dry up and fall off from lack of blood to feed the tissue. I would leave it as, and keep her coop area clean so infection does not set in.(I don't think that should be a worry)  Only worry if it gets really warm and red or moves into the rest of the toe/foot.

:goodpost: I agree

Why it happened I do not know. The poop stuck to the feet is normal and doesn't cause problems. I think it might be something with just this chick.

Thank you for your help!
smile.png
I checked her toe this morning, it wasn't as red but the end is still black.

I have a chick with a similar injury except there isn't a red area that would indicated some circulation which concerns me. . I think my chick got her toe stuck on the wire top of the cage I used to haul them out of the brooder into the day pen.

I have already covered the top of the cage with a piece of plywood to prevent further injuries. I also trimmed the twisted toenail to keep it for getting stuck on stuff, Now I am keeping an eye on the toe but suspect that I will have to amputate it if the black spreads up the toe any closed to the web.

In your case, observer your chick. Unless the position of the toe is causing it to constantly getting reinjured, it has an odor or discharge or the blackness is spreading toward the leg I would just leave it, it will fall off. I am guessing that there is already a thread here on how to amputate a chickens toe. unless you already have a basic chicken first aid kit this might be a good time to put one together.

Back
Top Bottom