Help with breeds? One week old chicks starting to feather out...

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I know, I know...it's awfully early to tell, but any guesses as to these breeds? HUGE buff breed with brown variegated feathers, black ones, and chipmunk with raccoon mask. Got a mix from McMurray and trying to figure it out. Right now, I think I have 11 breeds in all between my two orders! Love the variety :)

Big Buff guy (I have $10 on this being a Roo already...he is HUGE!!)

Black chick

Chipmunk with brown feathers and black mask

Looks to me like you have a RIR (?), Barred Rick and EE? That's just a crazy guess. Well actually I'm 99% sure on the Barred rock.

Last edited:
What assortment did you get from MMM? That can help us narrow things down.

The black bird is a barred/cuckoo something. I can't see the comb well enough to say Dominique or Rock, but it looks male either way.

The first chick makes me think of a Dixie Rainbow, or whatever they call their mixed meat birds.

I got the "Special Assorted Bargain" of 25 chicks. All 27 lived, which is lovely, but these are my first chicks ever and wasn't really interested in meat birds, but I think I might have 4-5 meat birds. They are significantly larger than the others. Of course, they're my favorite! :(

I really would like to know because they say it's not humane to keep these meat birds past their "processing date" of 8-10 weeks old. Agh!!!!

What do I do with them?!? Not sure I have it in me to butcher my own chicks...

Sarah

First one looks like a RIR or NewHamp. Second looks like a bared rock or Dominique. As for the third, it's really hard to tell at this age but she/he's likely an EE or Americauna cross.

Regarding the meat bird/dual purpose bird issue, it will become very quickly apparent which are meat birds because they will grow incredibly fast compared to dual purpose birds. Dual purpose birds can be processed later, like 4-6 months old. Yeah, that's more feed, but they don't pound it down like the meat birds do. You'll see enough growth rate difference to tell that much, I am sure. If a bird starts having trouble walking or its breast skin splits open, it's a meat bird and needs to go to Camp Amana asap. Hope this helps!

The first bird may be a Dixie Rainbow or a Rhode Island Red, the second bird is a Barred Plymouth Rock, and the last one may be a Light Brown Leghorn or a Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom