Help with chicken with one limp leg!

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Yesterday I went out to check the chickens and realized one of my 25-week-old pellets was walking weird. Upon further inspection I realized that she was walking on a Loosely curled foot and could not flatten it to walk. I picked her up and examined her leg, it was completely limp and just hanging there when I held her. I bent her leg at the hock and her toes did not curl. She was acting otherwise completely normal, eating and walking around with her sister but in a limpy sort of way on her limp foot. I decided to bring her to the "chicken hospital" aka a dog crate in my bathroom and keep her in here so I can keep an eye on her and she doesn't injure herself or get pecked out in the coop. She is eating and drinking and tries to stand but her leg would slip out in front of her or slip out behind her and it was hard for her. This morning she is doing better and has her foot flat on the floor but the back toe that usually faces backwards is facing Ford with the rest of her toes and her leg is still extremely weak and almost limp. She can hobble around better today in the crate but she now holds her foot up when she stands. It's only limp from the Hock Down, she can hold the foot up. My first thought was Mareks but it was such a sudden thing with only one leg affected and no other signs of weakness, I am thinking she may have injured herself, I have mini blinds in the coop and I'm wondering if she got tangled in them and injured her leg trying to get out or got a nail stuck in the hard work cloth in the Run and pulled on her leg too much. When I bent her leg at the hawk today the toes curled a little bit like they should . She is also eating and drinking well I have vitamins and electrolytes in her water and she ate some scrambled egg this morning as well as some of her feed. any of you ever experienced this, I think her leg hurts. Suggestions greatly appreciated

Get some human B complex tablets and give her 1/2 tablet daily, to treat for riboflavin deficiency. It does sound like she has injured the leg nerve or tendon, but keep Mareks in the back of your mind if she gets worse. How old is she, and was she vaccinated for anything? Can you take a picture of her standing showing her legs clearly?

Get some human B complex tablets and give her 1/2 tablet daily, to treat for riboflavin deficiency. It does sound like she has injured the leg nerve or tendon, but keep Mareks in the back of your mind if she gets worse.
ok thanks!
How old is she, and was she vaccinated for anything?
She is 25 weeks, i got her from rural king (hoover hatchery) so i dont know about vaccines
Can you take a picture of her standing showing her legs clearly?
Will do!

Here are some pictures though they aren't great 😕 her leg slips in front of her alot but she is doing her best to stand and walk. She can get around. I am concerned that she wont ever heal and may be permanently disabled.....if she is ill do my best to give her a good life
20220907_114019.jpg
20220907_113946.jpg
20220907_114034.jpg

I would give it some time and use the B complex daily. Limit her from jumping up and down from a roost, and from overusing her legs. A wire dog crate with food and water, and being close to her flock is a good way to limit her and keep her safe. She is at an age when Mareks symptoms could show up, but I hope that is not the problem. Injuries can take some time to get better.

This happened to one of my pullets, I did nothing and it got better. I know this might be terrible advice but I just wanted you to know.
Ok thanks
I would give it some time and use the B complex daily. Limit her from jumping up and down from a roost, and from overusing her legs. A wire dog crate with food and water, and being close to her flock is a good way to limit her and keep her safe. She is at an age when Mareks symptoms could show up, but I hope that is not the problem. Injuries can take some time to get better.
I have her in a crate in my bathroom so I can keep an eye on her, we don't live at the farm with the chickens but go there everyday or 2 times a day. She seems happy and u hope she gets better

Back
Top Bottom