Help with Coop Location

latebloomer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
green mountain state
hi.

i'm lucky enough to have several locations where i could locate my chicken coop but am having trouble choosing one and would like input from those of you with experience.

first i'm in the northern half of vermont; second my goal is to have no electric power in my coop.

here's a diagrammatic site plan,
79557_site.jpg

but let me give you a little more information on the site, there's almost nothing flat, the entire site is slopes down to the east. the hill/cliff blocks late afternoon light in both summer and winter.

i've noted three possible locations on the site plan, A, B, and C.

C is the flattest location and the one i consider best, but i don't know if it's too far in case of predators. if i put the location at A, i could hear a disturbance from my bedroom and be down there at a moments notice. at location A i could easily add electricity if needed. B is a nice location, there's an almost flat location there, it's main draw is that it's not as far as location C

maybe this doesn't really matter, that's what i'd like to have your input on...

Last edited:
Hi there neighbor!

If it were me, I'd seriously consider sites A & B, probably leaning more towards A (as long as it's not in the middle of a low spot). Just think of the shoveling to get there in the winter.
sickbyc.gif

Our coop is much further away from our house, probably a similar distance to your site C. I will have to do some digging to get there after big winter storms. If we were building from scratch instead of using an existing structure I'd have it much closer to the house.

Edited to add: Based on the where site C is it would probably be my last choice (not just because of the distance) because of the cliff right behind it, I'm guessing that site will get some good runoff in spring thaw, maybe leaving a wet spot right near site C.

Last edited:
hi there

thanks for your input. the hill/cliff is far enough back from the flat spot at location C that it's one of the driest spots on my property, as opposed to, say ....basement....

does that change your thinking?

I do like the idea of choosing the driest spot, but that's still hard to weigh against the need to shovel you're way out there in the winter. Are the other two sites on low spots that stay soggy this time of year? That would make me reconsider those, or consider how much time and money you'd need to put into adding gravel (or something else) for site improvement. Also what about shade? We do get warm in the summer, I'd look for a site with some natural shade (even better if it loses leaves to give some more sun in the winter).

Also, what kind of soil do you have? Is it the same across the property? Do you have lots of clay? We have fairly dry and rocky soil here, but I know a lot of people in Vermont with think clay, I'd probably avoid any spot with clay that is really damp right now. We have a low spot right where part of our covered run is that I'm going to have to do some work around, which again I would not have chosen if the shed wasn't already there.

I'd still lean more towards the closer sites, but maybe if you posted some pictures of the yard some more experienced BYC'ers can give some pros and cons for your sites.

I tend to agree with Noymira about having it closer to the house for convenenience and safety. How many chickens will you have and how big a run or will they free range? I have the window in mine facing south and it is under deciduous trees so it gets summer shade and winter sun warmth. The run is off the north side and roofed so that the pop dorr is protected. If it is too damp in position A is it possible to build it up? Mine is on a slight slope and the run has 4 inches of sand and it drains pretty well.

Quote:
hi

i haven't decided on a number of chickens yet. at this time i have fifteen blue/black/splash orpingtons that i hatched about two and half weeks ago. i had originally thought of having around six hens, and no roosters. now i'm considering having a rooster for some added security for the hens. my neighbors say their okay with that conceptually, but we thought we'd see how it goes, and then decide if it's too loud for them.

the ordinance in montpelier does not specify a number of chickens but does say they must be contained, so no free-ranging.

i could have a pop door on both sides, the one in summer to a shady location, the one in winter to access the sun.

looked at lunch at position A and it's dry, so....

well i'm going to see about transplanting two gooseberry bushes, two filberts and a forsythia.

hi there

here's a start of the base for the coop at location A (thanks for your advice)

79557_locationa_02.jpg

it will be approximated 7 feet by 12 feet. instead of joists and plywood i'll be using four solid core wood doors over the base which will be covered with plastic.

that's my hoop tractor in the foreground and my dog lilly supervising from the shelter of the trees.

here it is looking to from west to east

79557_locationa_03.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom