Help with dislocated “knee” on my duck

Well I was using popsicle stick trying to get the leg as straight as possible, but let me know what best corse of action would be here?
I was thinking straight too, but that is such a hard place to wrap. I also don't understand avian leg anatomy well enough to know why the keeps snapping back in that flexed position. Is it possible that the muscles in that leg have contracted?

Seems I remember a thread where someone made a sling for a duck, over a tote, and added water to the bottom so the duck is mostly floating and able to work the legs. I can’t remember what the problem was, but I would think that some water therapy may allow him to reset the leg himself?
(I gotta go back and see if you said why the vet said no water)
Edit - to rest and heal. Hmmm maybe in a few more days then.

I was thinking straight too, but that is such a hard place to wrap. I also don't understand avian leg anatomy well enough to know why the keeps snapping back in that flexed position. Is it possible that the muscles in that leg have contracted?

I know... it really is hard to keep “downward” witch is why I made the wheelchair in the first place, and had and “extra” stick kind of positioned at an angle from top of leg to lower(almost top of foot) but could only do so while he was in chair, cause he can’t really lay down otherwise, may e someone can inform me otherwise, or best way to proceed?

Schroeder-Thomas splint.jpg

installing the splint.jpg

splint_3.jpg

Source:http://libertywildlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/this-week-at-liberty-01032011.html

Last edited:
Ok... I see what your getting at, but how would I keep him upright like that, most fractures or bones take at least weeks to heal, am I really trying to keep him up right like this for weeks? And how would I do that? Just hang him from top of cage with towel or something?
That's a good question, maybe he would have to live in a sling.

Back
Top Bottom