HELP with hormonal swans...

blessedchick

Songster
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
I have 3 mute swans that I have raised since they were 2 days old. They are now 3 years old and last year their hormones kicked into gear. An avian vet put hormonal implants sub-Q in the 2 males and after 10 days of solitary, they were happily living all together on the pond with their sister, Mary.

So this year when the hormones reared their ugly heads, I packed up the boys (Michael and Gabriel) and took them to the vet for their implants. 10 days later I turned them out to join their sister and chaos broke loose. The boys were seriously trying to kill each other. I broke them up by getting a net to separate them and walking Michael back up to my horse barn to safely stay in one of the stalls. Another trip to the vet with an additional implant for each, with the theory that they had both increased substantially in weight and perhaps a larger dose was in order...NO GO! They attacked each other again and Michael has been ushered back up to the barn.

What in the world can I do? I know...logically I should re-home one of them, but I can't even begin to tell you how much I love all three of them and their unique personalities. I selfishly want to keep them all. My pond is in the front of my house and it is 1/4 acre and 15 foot deep at the deepest spot. I have contemplated putting in a MUCH smaller water area in the BACK of my house where Michael can spend these few months of breeding season in peace. Would that work? He is so intimidated by Gabriel that I really don't think that he would try to join him on the big pond...or he might try it once...In the meantime, I'm picking up a kiddie pool so Michael can bathe and enjoy some water while he is confined to the hormonal hotbox.

Please, suggestions, opinions...all are very welcome!!!! I just want to make sure that my little flock is happy and healthy...

You don't think that adding another lady to the mix would mess everyone up (more than they already are)?? If I add another lady, would there be any chance in the world that they could all FOUR get along on one pond? I would put the money into enlarging my front pond versus putting in a small back one...oh the things we do for love...
love.gif

Once swans pair up they do not tolerate rival pairs/single rivals on "their" body of water, they are extremely territorial(i remember back in europe that you never saw more then 1 pair on any stretch of river or pond and they even beat any geese off their water), so either way you need seperate waters for them regardless if you get a mate for the second male or leave him by his lonesome. I personally would get a mate for the lone male, so he has less reason to try and rejoin the other two.

Only time Swans are peaceful together is outside of breeding season.

Last edited:
Oh! This is making me sad! I hate the thoughts of having to separate them for most of the summer since they have lived so beautifully together for 3 years...
hit.gif
They have very successfully driven off over 36 Canada geese from my pond so I know just how aggressive they can be (although they ignore the herons and wood ducks...hmmmm....)

I can't bear to have a critter living all alone so a friend would have to be made available for Michael. Oh boy. I better start selling alot of chicken eggs to get that pond put in...

Thank you so much for your help, everyone! I just LOVE BYC!

...I don't think I can do it...I tried to go about rehoming Michael but when something actually came thru I was a blubbering mess. This from someone who bred and sold horses for 35 years without a tear being shed! AAARRGGGHHH!!!

Right now Michael is still in his baby pool, spending days sitting in the water and sunning with the chickens. I spend alot of time with him when I get home in the evenings (he follows me all over...always has). I'm getting estimates to have a very small pond put in for him in the back yard...try to landscape it around my chicken coops, perhaps? OY! Hopefully he would only have to use it during the breeding season and he can be welcomed back on the big pond in the fall. How crazy am I? Maybe don't answer that question?!

I think all of us have a little bit of crazy..... Hehe. If you can find a large billboard tarp from a advertising company they make good temporary ponds. I have one up for my swans until we dig a pond. If they get along most of the year, it may be an option to make him one during breeding season.

Thank you for the encouragement, chickenzoo! My only fear is that after breeding season is over that he will not be accepted out on the pond with the other 2...How long does breeding season last???

I just read all of this conversation and my first reaction was..............WOW. First of all, i cant bear to imagine the sadness you felt and second, just look up how long the swan breeding season lasts on google.

Back
Top Bottom