Help with identifying quail? -New to Quail Owning-

Another problem I have with my quail is that they constantly get balls of dried-up poop caked onto their toes. We are currently using hemp bedding, and I think it is worse than aspen in that respect. Is there a way to avoid this problem other than changing the bedding so often?

For our quail it is becoming a problem...they just keep becoming bigger, and are on every toe of the quail. We have tried to get them off with pliers (carefully), but it is very difficult and the quail despise it.

Hello!

My family was recently gifted with some quail.

I need some help maybe identifying what breeds/sexes this guys are.

Already got 2 eggs from them, so I know we have atleast 2 females!

They are dust bathing as I take these photos.

Also my family is new to quail, so any tips would be awesome!

I have 3 light brown ones. One almost a fawn color. One dark brown with a white spot on its neck. One a lovely light brown/gray color.
View attachment 2218557View attachment 2218558View attachment 2218561View attachment 2218563View attachment 2218566View attachment 2218568View attachment 2218569
The brown ones are pharaoh or wild type and can be feather sexed by posting a breast picture (like the last one which looks to be a male) the second to last pic is a Rosetta (bibbed) and is not feather sexable, it has to be vent sexed or behavior sexed (crowing or laying). Your hens will sometimes be bald if too many males (that’s a dead giveaway too)

For our quail it is becoming a problem...they just keep becoming bigger, and are on every toe of the quail. We have tried to get them off with pliers (carefully), but it is very difficult and the quail despise it.
You can try keeping them on wire with dust bath available and/or change bedding more often......I have a huge problem with it when cage keeping my quail on bedding but not an issue when out in the aviary (subaviary is sand and pea gravel while main aviary is mulch)

Back
Top Bottom