Help with integrating issue!!!

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
I have 2, almost 7 week old bantam Cochins that I'm trying to integrate to my flock of 3 ~9 month old silkie/ Cochin hens. I got them when they were around 4 weeks old so I started off with them in the garage in a brooder and have been taking them out to my open run area during the day and putting them in a wire dog cage where the hens free range around them. This week I've been propping open their door just enough for them to go in and out for a couple hours during the day and letting them mingle supervised. It has went well. There were a few pecks the first day but then hens don't even pay much attention to the babies. My issue is the space inside my secured coop and run is too small to set up the babies their own space protected from the hens. Last night once it was dark I attempted to slip the babies inside the coop and let them sleep in there. As soon as I did my silkie started pecking them. Do I need to wait until they are older? I'm getting tired of having to bring them into the garage every night but the only thing I have outside is the dog crate with a tarp on the top and 3 sides. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Roost time is always the last place peace happens with integration. I put mine in the big girl side of the coop last night on the floor, the big girls left them alone (they have been in the coop segregated by chicken wire for a week) to be safe I pulled out the meanest girls and put them on the small segregated side to allow the settling in to go more smooth.

Back
Top Bottom