Help with isolated chicken

Bler

Hatching
Jan 18, 2017
I have a chicken with a broken foot. She's been seen by a vet and has a splint and bandage that has to be kept clean and dry for weeks. I have her isolated inside my garage in a nice roomy dog crate for the duration. Being that it's January, the ground is wet and muddy so she can't be outside at all. Any tips on keeping her happy? I thought I'd occasionally bring in her flock mates and have play dates inside the garage throughout her confinement, but I worry about her mood. Thanks for any suggestions

Bringing in another hen for a companion works great. I have isolated a little serama hen and that was what I did, I brought her in the serama rooster (her husband) for hospital visits. He didn't mind at all and she likes it too. Got him out of the freezing cold for a few hours and I think he enjoys that. Giving them dried meal worm treats for their dinner date seemed to also work well.

Is your coop large enough that you might place her crate inside there, so that she can see the other chickens? It will make it much easier to re-integrate her when she is better. If that is not possible, I would bring in some company. If possible put her on a good vitamin/mineral supplement such as Poultry Booster in her feed.

We have been rotating her flock visitors and she gets to roam around the garage and driveway every day,so she actually seems fairly content. She even started laying eggs again so I'd say she's on mend. Thanks for the suggestion

I've also been bringing in a pan of soil from the compost pile every morning and she loves picking through it for worms!

Back
Top Bottom