Help with moving 6 week old chicks outside

The Farmer's Mama

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Eastern Shore, VA
I have 7 six week old chicks (who I wish I moved out LAST week before the cold snap). My husband built a really nice little hen house for them, he built it inside a gazebo - which he fenced in for their run. My question is....It is in the 40s now at night. They will need a lamp for heat in the litte hen house. What size bulb do you recommend? Am I right in putting it IN the little hen house? They won't need one in the run area will they? I am a newbie, and they are my little girls chickens. Thanks in advance!!

welcome-byc.gif

I would use a 250 watt, but not to close to the floor. I would not let them outside for a while either keep them in the coop, so they know where they go to sleep, at that age I probably would keep them in over a week or so, if you get a warm day let them out for a little while before dusk. My babies have a mommy that shows them where to go. She even has had them out in this chilly weather for a little at a time to get water. I also caught her with them out in the pouring rain, just standing there with her wings out stretch like an umbrella. They are only 5 weeks. Good luck they will love it in their new coop make sure you watch them you will laugh your butt off.

Chicks are very strong. I would say as long as they are fully feathered they are good during the day and at night they will continue to huddle up. Make sure they have a place to get out of the heat too.

Good luck,

The Farmer's Mama :

Ok!!! We put them out today. They are in their little coop with a light. They are VERY happy!! Question: How long do I leave the light in there...A week? 2 weeks? Till Spring?
tongue.png

I am in Michigan. I leave a red 250W heat lamp on at night all winter long. They can perch under it or away from it. I just give them the option because like you said ' these are my little girls'.​

Back
Top Bottom