Help with shelter for ducks and geese in the winter

Goose_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Nov 20, 2018
Gallup, New Mexico
I need to know how I can protect my ducks and geese from the harsh winter. This will be there first winter. We have built a house for them with straw inside. Is there other ways I can help them with their first winter. I also have a run for them and when it snows the run is covered with snow. Is it okay for them to be walking in the run with the snow? My ducks and geese tend to get cold on just the ground so I'm worried they will get frostbite on their feet. Please help.:barnie:hit

They'll be fine :) They are extremely hardy animals. They don't need any added heat, etc. As long as they have that house to go in when they want to, they're fine. Mine like the snow. They 'swim' in it. They won't get frostbite, since they have a special circulatory system in their feet to prevent it, evolved because they often swim in freezing water in the wild.

Really, they'll be fine. They're adapted very well for cold. Just make sure the house has at least four square feet of space per bird, since they might want to spend a lot of time in there if they decide they don't want to deal with the snow. But most likely they're going to be out playing in it.

They'll be fine :) They are extremely hardy animals. They don't need any added heat, etc. As long as they have that house to go in when they want to, they're fine. Mine like the snow. They 'swim' in it. They won't get frostbite, since they have a special circulatory system in their feet to prevent it, evolved because they often swim in freezing water in the wild.

Really, they'll be fine. They're adapted very well for cold. Just make sure the house has at least four square feet of space per bird, since they might want to spend a lot of time in there if they decide they don't want to deal with the snow. But most likely they're going to be out playing in it.
Thank you. I just really worry about them.:bow:love

Back
Top Bottom