Help With Slaughter! Desperate! He's dead now, Sankyoo

Keep a pair of long-handled brush loppers with you as insurance. If you screw up the artery cut, and don't have the cahones to just take the head off with the knife, use the loppers to take the whole head off. Easier than having to reposition the bird for an axe swing. I read that on BYC once, and it seems like good advice to me.

I can't imagine hitting something with a machete twice and not killing it. You could kill a horse with one swipe.
hu.gif
Did you strike it with the sharp side? Or just whack it?

Get mad at me if you must...

I don't think anyone has the right to get mad at you.

It's a rare day when people perform at 100% the first time they ever try to do something. We all have to learn and making mistakes is normal when you're starting out.

It's easy for us to sit at our desks and smirk, perhaps giggle a little, at your antics and maybe be a little sharp with some of our responses because we're all used to the process but I imagine most of us didn't grow up with it and we all had our slightly poor, slightly squeamish first attempts that we can all probably still remember.
Sometimes even now, if I take my eye off the ball when wielding the machete, it can be half a head that comes off. The end result is always the same - dead chickens, ready for plucking, gutting, cooking and eating which was the purpose of the whole thing at the start.​

Sorry you had such a rough time. If you don't like killing them by chopping their heads then you could put your chicken in a bag, tie it shut,sink the bag in water and walk away for a few minutes.

Your tools are not the problem. It sounds like you were giving it little taps with the machete. The only thing you suffered from was being tentative.

Please learn before you do that again. Thank God an animal rights wierdo wasn't watching you.

Pete

swift4me wrote: Please learn before you do that again.

The only way to learn is by experience so if it takes him a few more times to figure it out that's fine. It's not like he wanted it to suffer.​

First one lways hardest. Even second or third. I use a cone like ones they use to block streets off. I cut it so that their head fits and I can hang it upside down. I think it take getting use too. It took me sometime. I processed about 15 meaties awhile back. Once I got the hang of it , Was something my hubby couldn't do. I just went in and did it .. lol
End result was dinner, well dinner for many nights. But yes was something that did take me several to get hang of what worked best and what did not.
Those cones work well because it exposes right where you need to cut.

Well drowning deprives the birds of oxygen exactly like Controlled Atmosphere Killing (CAK) which is the way most AR's would like chickens slaughtered because they think it cause's less pain than slitting their throats. The way I look at it is drowning gets them wet and CAK they breath in gas but both ways causes the bird to die from deprived oxygen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom